What's new

Details about simultaneous dual band WiFi (SDB)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
[Moved from https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dual-band-wifi-and-battery-life.69376/]

Sorry to necro a thread here - recently I bought a new device that supports this, and was a bit curious about the use case and purpose...

First, it's not limited to 11ax - this is actually independent of the access technology level in use, but chipsets that support it, mostly are 11ac or 11ax - and most of the client chipsets in handsets are obviously 11ax/WiFi6...

The primary use case is the "connected car" - where BlueTooth and WiFi are in concurrent use - Bluetooth for hands free calling, phone book access, SMS reading, WiFi for CarPlay/Android Auto, and then Internet Access for in-car hotspot uses...

contenteetimes-images-design-embedded-2018-07cs-f1.jpg

Which makes sense - BT doesn't have the bandwidth to do the live updates for the remote screens to support CarPlay/Android Auto.

Broadcom does have a router side chip that supports this - the BCM4366, which if I recall, is out there on some Asus and Netgear devices... on the client side, Cypress has a number of ex-Broadom client STA's, and if I recall, Infineon bought those products.

Qualcomm has released some mobile client chipsets as noted in this and other threads...

I think mostly it will be found in the automotive space, which is the marketing message, and there - I did find an embedded module from u-Blox that supports this explicitly - and this would be the host AP/STA in the car itself that the mobile handset would pair up with...

The would be their Jody-W1 family of modules...

Pair that up in the car telematics suite with a high speed LTE module, and it's a nice solution...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to necro a thread here - recently I bought a new device that supports this, and was a bit curious about the use case and purpose...

First, it's not limited to 11ax - this is actually independent of the access technology level in use, but chipsets that support it, mostly are 11ac or 11ax - and most of the client chipsets in handsets are obviously 11ax/WiFi6...

The primary use case is the "connected car" - where BlueTooth and WiFi are in concurrent use - Bluetooth for hands free calling, phone book access, SMS reading, WiFi for CarPlay/Android Auto, and then Internet Access for in-car hotspot uses...

View attachment 34173

Which makes sense - BT doesn't have the bandwidth to do the live updates for the remote screens to support CarPlay/Android Auto.

Broadcom does have a router side chip that supports this - the BCM4366, which if I recall, is out there on some Asus and Netgear devices... on the client side, Cypress has a number of ex-Broadom client STA's, and if I recall, Infineon bought those products.

Qualcomm has released some mobile client chipsets as noted in this and other threads...

I think mostly it will be found in the automotive space, which is the marketing message, and there - I did find an embedded module from u-Blox that supports this explicitly - and this would be the host AP/STA in the car itself that the mobile handset would pair up with...

The would be their Jody-W1 family of modules...

Pair that up in the car telematics suite with a high speed LTE module, and it's a nice solution...
okay cool I never would have though of using it that way but it really makes sense. I am a distribution driver so I use android auto often . I had turned dual WiFi off because I couldn't see a real difference,using it at home that is,so I though it would just drain my battery faster and I hate charging phones at the best of times.
You have given me a new thing to play with while I deliver stuff to people who love internet shopping. I thank you for that . I'll post my conclusions if you are interested

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!