What's new

Device Full

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

laajr

Occasional Visitor
Opening a separate thread relating to "device full" issue. I had originally posted this issue in the AMTM thread and was found when trying to update AMTM. What I found was that the " /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer" file is taking most of the memory space and would not allow AMTM update (device full).

Appreciate if anyone could shed some light on what is going on and why the traffic analyzer is causing memory full error.

Also, what command would I use to erase just this db file without affecting other data in memory?

Opening a separate thread relating to "device full" issue. I had originally posted this issue in the AMTM thread and was found when trying to update AMTM. What I found was that the " /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer" file is taking most of the memory space and would not allow AMTM update (device full).

Appreciate if anyone could shed some light on what is going on and why the traffic analyzer is causing memory full error.

Also, what command would I use to erase just this db file without affecting other data in memory?
see this

@laajr it is the NVRAM /jffs partition which is filling up, not “memory” (RAM).
At least on my current setup, 386.16_0, with Traffic Analyzer Statistics turned on, /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db appears to grow until there is no free space on /jffs. At that point the router (RT -AC86U in my case) may crash or other aberrant behaviour may be observed due to the lack of space.

This is despite me pointing Traffic Monitoring:Save History Location (under Tools, Other Settings) to a Custom Location (folder) on my external USB SSD drive. Something else does appear there, but not the actual db file, so I’m probably misunderstanding the intention of this option.

Can’t say if it behaved this way (filling NVAM) prior to 384.16 as I never had occasion to turn on Traffic Statistics before trying it about 2 weeks ago.

Perhaps @RMerlin or others may have a comment or solution?

Edit: I see @Martineau has already pointed us to an earlier relevant thread whilst I was typing, thanks!

Last edited:
What I found was that the " /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer" file is taking most of the memory space and would not allow AMTM update (device full).
That file is meant to be large (~30MB). See the other threads about it. The real question should be "what else is consuming the remaining space?".

Normally, TrafficAnalyzer database is supposed to get truncated regularly to a max size of 30 MB. I've seen cases however where for some reason purging of older entries wasn't working as expected.

Normally, TrafficAnalyzer database is supposed to get truncated regularly to a max size of 30 MB. I've seen cases however where for some reason purging of older entries wasn't working as expected.

My TrafficAnalyzer.db=31.5MB
TrafficAnalyzer.db-journal=5.8MB
nt_center.db=5.6MB
WebHistory.db=5.1MB
These are the four largest files

I read (on Tools page) total space on JFFS is 48MB (for my RT-AC86U at least) so you must be running close to the edge if those numbers are true?

I read (on Tools page) total space on JFFS is 48MB (for my RT-AC86U at least) so you must be running close to the edge if those numbers are true?

Yep, mine shows 48MB, 48MB (AC86U). It sounds like TrafficAnalyzer.db is what it should be at ~31.5MB. So other items are eating up the NVRam .

So other items are eating up the NVRam .

@laajr
Since my rebuild and cleanup a couple of nights ago on my AC86U, no Traffic Stats running, it's looking much healthier.

JFFS 6.57 / 48.00 MB

Aiming to keep it that way for now at least! :)

@laajr
Since my rebuild and cleanup a couple of nights ago on my AC86U, no Traffic Stats running, it's looking much healthier.

JFFS 6.57 / 48.00 MB

Aiming to keep it that way for now at least! :)
Did you "format JFFS partition at next boot" to clean up? What other areas of the router would this affect?

Did you "format JFFS partition at next boot" to clean up? What other areas of the router would this affect?

@laajr
Yes I did do a “format JFFS at next boot” at some point.
I had to get the router going again pretty fast to placate the household.
I take Config and JFFS backups at regular intervals before I make major changes.
In this case I had saved both after installing 384.16 but before I turned on Traffic Stats, so I restored those to get going again. I then cleaned up a few other minor things that had accumulated over time that I was confident I could get rid of with no ill effects. So far so good, router running well and back on track. I blame myself anyway for “fiddling” and turning on the Traffic Statistics when I didn’t need to and probably wouldn’t use much in practice. :(

Last edited:
Sorry to revive an old thread.
Is it possible to make a symlink for file like TrafficAnalyzer.db to USB drive?

Sorry to revive an old thread.
Is it possible to make a symlink for file like TrafficAnalyzer.db to USB drive?
Use custom settings.

Traffic Analyzer, not Traffic Monitor.
I put this in post-mount and seems working after reboot. Is this ok?

Code:
rm /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db
ln -s /tmp/mnt/amtm/entware/share/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db

I put this in post-mount and seems working after reboot. Is this ok?

Code:
rm /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db
ln -s /tmp/mnt/amtm/entware/share/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db

In theory it should work, provided the USB disk is mounted early anough during the boot process for Traffic Analyzer to get access to it as it starts.

any idea why I cant find my files in /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db?
dont even have .sys folder

Thanks

What router model and firmware version?

What is the output of this command:
Code:
ls -al /jffs/
AX88U 386.3_2

I saw it now, it is hidden in WinSCP haha. Thanks anyway!

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 386.3_2 Sat Aug 7 04:20:31 UTC 2021
admin@RT-AX88U:/tmp/home/root# ls -al /jffs/
drwxr-xr-x 18 admin root 0 Apr 4 20:13 .
drwxrwxrwx 21 admin root 1912 Aug 7 2021 ..
drw------- 2 admin root 0 Jan 1 1970 .cert
drw------- 3 admin root 0 Aug 21 2021 .le
drwx------ 2 admin root 0 Aug 21 2021 .ssh
drw-rw-rw- 9 admin root 0 Apr 2 02:00 .sys
drwxr-xr-x 6 admin root 0 Aug 31 2021 addons
drwxr--r-- 2 admin root 0 Aug 22 2021 asd
-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin root 6449 May 5 2018 asd.log
drwxrwxrwx 2 admin root 0 Mar 25 21:58 ca_files
-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin root 2511 May 5 2018 cert.tgz
drwxrwxrwx 3 admin root 0 Aug 31 2021 configs
drwxrwxrwx 2 admin root 0 Jan 1 1970 etc
drwx------ 2 admin root 0 Apr 3 04:21 ksdb