What's new

Device or Service providing reports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

esfu

Regular Contributor
What is the most economical, automatic and best way to receive log file or generate reports across my entire home network that consists of
  1. all the sites that are visited,
  2. the local device name making the request,
  3. the site to which connection is requested,
  4. date and time of access,
  5. whether the connection was allowed or blocked (if the device works as a part of local network),
  6. amount of data uploaded to the site
  7. amount of data downloaded from the site
  8. PREFERABLY top level domain
  9. PREFERABLY country hosting the website requested etc.
across the entire home network.

This way if the log file is available in CSV or some other common format, it can be analyzed to generate reports like
  • Top level domains visited
  • Sites visited from a particular device
  • Data Downloaded and / or Uploaded to the top level domains etc.
  • Date Range / Month / Quarter / Year etc.
These log files or generated reports than can be sorted, grouped and various kind of slicing and dicing can be done on it.

Currently, I have an ASUS RT-AX92U router which shows me web history but does not allow me to download it in CSV format. It says copy and paste the data if you want. This is very cumbersome doing it page by page. I also have OpenDNS as DNS Servers which allows to see some data in its dashboard if the IP address of the network remains the same. I have a normal ISP who provides dynamic IP and when it changes, updating the OpenDNS network IP address for my account is not working properly even if I install the software. Either way, both of these methods are better than nothing but very cumbersome and not convenient at all.

I had an old Netgear WNR1000v2 — RangeMax N150 Wireless Router more than ten years ago which used to email me the log of all the sites the router allowed or blocked by each device by providing the 192.168.... IP address of the device connected to the router, the actual site address, date and time of access. The router was configured to send me the log each time the log was full as the routers ten years back did not have lot of memory. I find that modern routers with much larger processing power, memory and features like ASUS RT-AX92U do not have this kind of feature.

So, I was looking for a service which can run on my ASUS RT-AX92U router or a device which sits in between my ISP modem router and the ASUS RT-AX92U router and provides this kind of facility. Preferably, such a service or device will also allow me to block domains or websites though I am aware that this can be done in router settings also.