What's new

Device to Remotely Cover a Security Camera?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tmc1284

New Around Here
I have a vacation rental with an interior security camera. I'll use a remote controllable power plug to power it off when it is being rented and back on when it is vacant, but I still feel that guests will not be comfortable with it being in view.

I do have a SmartThings Z-Wave Hub. The security camera is standing upright and on a level surface above my kitchen cabinets(it's a Piper nv security camera measuring 4" W x 6" H with the camera lens just below 5" H) and there is leveled space in front of it for a device to cover/shield it. Is there a device that exists could be used to shield the view of the Security Camera that can go up and then retract back down? I feel like the device I'm looking for, if it even exists, is going to take some creative thinking to come up with an idea. I wouldn't care if it was a device or multiple devices that look completely out of place. For example if I placed a few meant to be in-ground garden sprinklers that are actually are able to go up then stop, and then retract remotely I'm pretty sure my guests would prefer the garden sprinklers over the security camera.

Hmmm... interesting situation.

Cameras at the entrances and parking area - not so troublesome - and with disclosure, should be fine - heck, put a monitor inside the rental so the guests can see as well.

Camera's inside rental - depending on the location (e.g. city/state/country), that can get into a grey area with the law...

(consider if a guest at a hotel - motion detection using IR to see if the room is occupied - this is fairly common, but having a camera in the room would cross the line for many regarding privacy)

If camera is in plain sight, a sign next to it with a suitable cover or blue painter tape should suffice.

If it were me, camera would be covered while I was there, sign or not.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!