What's new

Devices cant communicate across bands / ARP proxy issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gorkish

New Around Here
Hello; I have been having a problem for some time now where some devices on my network cannot communicate with others. The problem occurs most of the time, but not all of the time.

My router is an RT-AC5300 running 384.4 but the problem exists on 380 and previous firmwares.
I use a single SSID for all 3 bands but have Smart Connect disabled.

I have a Brother laser printer and a Raspberry Pi Zero W which are both 2.4Ghz only. They both connect to the network just fine and I can communicate with them from the router directly (ping/ssh/web/whatever) and Internet access works from these devices.

I have several macs and PCs on this network also; they almost exclusively connect to one of the 5ghz networks. Sometimes they can communicate with the printer or raspberry pi but more times than not they cannot ping the devices. If I try to ping them they never get an ARP response.

arp -a output from a macbook pro to a raspberry pi (macs partially obscured)
octopi (192.168.1.96) at b8:27:eb:XX:XX:XX on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
from the raspberry pi to the mbp:
router.asus.com (192.168.1.1) at d0:17:c2:XX:XX:XX [ether] on wlan0
gorkmbp (192.168.1.101) at <incomplete> on wlan0

Sometimes one PC will be able to communicate with a device; sometimes it wont. I am not really sure how the asus routers handle bridging between wireless segments so I can't really debug further. brctl on the router shows vlan1, eth1-3, and wlan0.1 as members of br0 but wlan0.1 is the only wireless interface I see so I'm assuming this sort of thing is something that happens within the broadcom driver/settings.

What can I do to test further? Is there some obvious setting somewhere that I have missed? This is getting very frustrating. I havent tried resetting everything or going back to stock firmware, but I suppose that may be the next step.

Thanks everybody!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!