What's new

dhclient command on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jakeycrx

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm following a guide to setup the SoftEther VPN client on my RT-AC68U. I need to request an IP from the VPN server and the guide tells me to run dhclient but dhclient is not found on the RT-AC68U.

Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks

Can you post a link to the guide you're following? If we can understand what it's trying to do we might be able to help.

What firmware version are you using?

When you connect and authenticate it should provide an IP automatically. Dhclient is only useful for interfaces.

It's not obtaining an IP, I can see there is no IP assigned on the VPN server and also when I run ifconfig:

vpn_vpn Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxx
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:898 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
RX bytes:54778 (53.4 KiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Well, you have one way traffic for starters.

Command should be

dhclient vpn_vpn

If things are setup on both sides correctly it should get you an IP.

Well, you have one way traffic for starters.

Command should be

dhclient vpn_vpn

If things are setup on both sides correctly it should get you an IP.

When I run that command it doesn't work hence the reason for this post:

RT-AC68U-F7C8:/# dhclient vpn_vpn
-sh: dhclient: not found

Is this a commercial VPN or something you setup? The server has to have an IP and DHCP server to issue an IP to your client.
I'm using SoftEther for RDP access into a dedicated server. SoftEther VPN server is running on the dedicated server and I want to run the client on the RT-AC68U so I can RDP into my server from any device connected to my home LAN.

Well, that's possible since Asus isn't full blown Linux.

Ok. well, if it's a "server" then it should be capable of issuing an IP to the client. As much as I hate Asus the OVPN server on the router should satisfy this problem. Then you just VPN to the router and it gives you an IP and then you can get to all of your local devices from the outside.

So, if I'm reading this and processing this correctly you want to do a site to site VPN to this "server" from your LAN to wherever this lives on the internet?

If you take DHCP out of the equation and set an IP on both sides and setup the routing rules properly it should work just fine. This is outside of the scope of consumer routers though for the most part due to limited HW resources. If you're running stock FW it's probably not going to be an option. Switching to one of the other options like Merlin might get this working though as more options are exposed outside of the scope of stock firmware.

Well, that's possible since Asus isn't full blown Linux.

Ok. well, if it's a "server" then it should be capable of issuing an IP to the client. As much as I hate Asus the OVPN server on the router should satisfy this problem. Then you just VPN to the router and it gives you an IP and then you can get to all of your local devices from the outside.

So, if I'm reading this and processing this correctly you want to do a site to site VPN to this "server" from your LAN to wherever this lives on the internet?

If you take DHCP out of the equation and set an IP on both sides and setup the routing rules properly it should work just fine. This is outside of the scope of consumer routers though for the most part due to limited HW resources. If you're running stock FW it's probably not going to be an option. Switching to one of the other options like Merlin might get this working though as more options are exposed outside of the scope of stock firmware.
I'm running Merlin.

I have used OVPN and it works but there is another setup I want to use a VPN for where the OVPN client can't reach the server because of port blocking but the SoftEther client can reach it. SoftEther is also faster than OVPN.

Asuswrt doesn't use dhclient is uses udhcpc.

Try this, you might need to change the DHCP options to fit your needs.
Code:
/sbin/udhcpc -i vpn_vpn -p /var/run/udhcpc9.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249

Asuswrt doesn't use dhclient is uses udhcpc.

Try this, you might need to change the DHCP options to fit your needs.
Code:
/sbin/udhcpc -i vpn_vpn -p /var/run/udhcpc9.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
The plot thickens, an IP has been assigned and is confirmed by the VPN server as well:

RT-AC68U-F7C8:/# /sbin/udhcpc -i vpn_vpn -p /var/run/udhcpc9.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
udhcpc: started, v1.25.1
udhcpc: sending discover
udhcpc: sending select for 192.168.30.10
udhcpc: lease of 192.168.30.10 obtained, lease time 7200

But it still doesn't show an IP assigned via ip a and I can't ping anything at the VPN server end:

vpn_vpn Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxx
RX packets:9015 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:526819 (514.4 KiB) TX bytes:684 (684.0 B)

The plot thickens, an IP has been assigned and is confirmed by the VPN server as well:

RT-AC68U-F7C8:/# /sbin/udhcpc -i vpn_vpn -p /var/run/udhcpc9.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -O33 -O249
udhcpc: started, v1.25.1
udhcpc: sending discover
udhcpc: sending select for 192.168.30.10
udhcpc: lease of 192.168.30.10 obtained, lease time 7200

But it still doesn't show an IP assigned via ip a and I can't ping anything at the VPN server end:

vpn_vpn Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxx
RX packets:9015 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:526819 (514.4 KiB) TX bytes:684 (684.0 B)

It might be easier to install the Entware package isc-dhcp-client-ipv4. That would give you dhclient which probably isn't so tightly coupled with asuswrt.

It might be easier to install the Entware package isc-dhcp-client-ipv4. That would give you dhclient which probably isn't so tightly coupled with asuswrt.
That worked! Thanks!

The SoftEther client puts some strange entries in the IP routing table by default but I've deleted those and entered my own routing and it appears to be working well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!