What's new

DHCP for only guest WIFI - different subnet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikeinpa

New Around Here
Hi,
I have searched and see some code examples for different routers and such, but I would like to setup a guest network on my RT-AC88U router. It will not get an IP address if I am using a different DHCP server on my network unless I enable the DHCP on the router itself, which causes some other issues. I do not want to change my current setup of home domain, domain DHCP, etc. I just want to setup a guest wifi to get an address on a (preferably) different subnet and allow only internet access, with no path back internally. I use 192.168.1.x internally, and can use 10.10.10.0 (or whatever) for guest wifi.

Has anyone successfully don't this and have step by step? I am fairly technical and cannot get this just right.

Thanks

That is not possible with the stock Asus firmware. You would have to use an alternative firmware.

So the config examples I see are using different firmware? Where may one acquire such?
I don't know what config examples you've been looking at. But there are various different firmwares, e.g. Merlin's, DD-WRT, FreshTomato, OpenWRT, etc.

Merlin's firmware with this add-on might be what you're after.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!