What's new

DHCP manual assignment with manual DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brchan

New Around Here
I'm using an Asus RT-AX92U and the DHCP manual assignment allows an optional manual DNS assignment. I find that really useful when I want some of my devices to bypass pihole they will get a different DNS from the default. The issue came up when I was trying to repurpose my old RT-N66U with FreshTomato or Merlin and noticed those firmware don't have this manual DNS feature. I assume underneath it all is dnsmasq with the option and Asus piped it up to their webgui. Does anyone know if DD-WRT or any other firmware has this feature in the webgui?

From what I've search online, the answer is no other firmware exposes this DNS option on a per client DHCP bases on the webgui. Kudos to Asus for trying it. (They also reduced the number for default DNS fields from 2 to 1, so it's not all roses)

But I did find the dnsmasq options to perform the same behavior on any firmware with access to the config file. The dhcp-options field can specify unique options following RFC2132 such as DNS that is assigned a tag, that option is sent to DHCP clients when they match a dhcp-host entry with a the same tag.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!