What's new

Did ASUS Fixed AXE-16000 10Gb Speed issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hexenhammer

Regular Contributor
Hello,
So based on Dong Knows Tech review, it only does 6GB on 10Gb ports, but the review is from release day.
Its the only thing that stops me from buying it.

I want a single router instead of router and switch, i need two 10Gb ports, one for my PC, another for unraid and 2.5Gb WAN for the ISP, so this router is the only one that has everything i need in one package

Regards

Unless you have the exact same equipment that Dong Doesn't Know, then believe his report.

In all other cases, simply test fully and properly in your environment and make your decision to keep or return, then.

Unless you have the exact same equipment that Dong Doesn't Know, then believe his report.

In all other cases, simply test fully and properly in your environment and make your decision to keep or return, then.

It wasn't just Dong, it was Toms Hardware too.
I cant just return, im buying from another country, ordering from newegg, they ship INT and offer returns but its complicated, i mean unless the product is defective they wont refund shipping fee.

Guru3D [fw:3.0.0.4.388] has a review from last month, so its much later than Dong [fw:?] and Toms Hardware [fw:3.0.0.4.386] and Guru3D shows 9492Mbit/s, which is the max you can achieve with the overhead and all, but its confusing when Tom on one step lower fimware says the router is outrigh broken and has slow lan to lan performance.

Have a look at the following post: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33633429-

8 Gb/s up and down. I haven't read thru the reviews, but, just thinking aloud, if you were trying to test a router, up to 10 Gb/s, you would probably need a service that would provide something like 12 Gb/s and above, so there's absolutely no question of the test source capability when it comes to testing any given device, in this case, the AXE16000. In that particular post, the max data rate supplied by Bell Canada is 8 Gb/s, so, unfortunately it doesn't fully test the router's capability beyond 8 Gb/s.

@Hexenhammer, you missed the point. It doesn't matter who reviewed it.

Return it even if complicated, if it doesn't work for you. At the very least, sell it and move onto other equipment. After, testing it in your environment, properly and fully.

I had speed issues when I tested the AXE16000 and complained to Asus Tech Support about it. It is supposedly a CPU limitation on the router's end and you'll need to keep all QoS, VPN and AiProtection functions disabled to get close to 10Gbps wired speeds on the LAN side. Asus said they'd work with Trend Micro, who provide the AiPotection suite to fix this but it's been over 6 months and no further word from them about that. I returned both units before my 30-day window closed.

I had speed issues when I tested the AXE16000 and complained to Asus Tech Support about it. It is supposedly a CPU limitation on the router's end and you'll need to keep all QoS, VPN and AiProtection functions disabled to get close to 10Gbps wired speeds on the LAN side. Asus said they'd work with Trend Micro, who provide the AiPotection suite to fix this but it's been over 6 months and no further word from them about that. I returned both units before my 30-day window closed.

What kind of speed issues did you have? LAN-LAN?
On my AX89X, that has [faster? CPU, its quad core 2.2Ghz], I cant use any QOS becuase it limits my ISP speed to 1GB [maybe tad more], but i would never get my 2.2 [t hats what i get from 2.4 connection]
I do use AiProtect, mainly for other peoples mobile phones, i dont care about this feature for myself.
And the VPN on my router is broken, all i want is normal VPN, not use my router as VPN what asus offers me trought the app, but connect to VPN from router isde and not my PC so my PS5 could get cheaper games [for example] and this feature never worked properly on the AX89X

Have a look at the following post: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33633429-

8 Gb/s up and down. I haven't read thru the reviews, but, just thinking aloud, if you were trying to test a router, up to 10 Gb/s, you would probably need a service that would provide something like 12 Gb/s and above, so there's absolutely no question of the test source capability when it comes to testing any given device, in this case, the AXE16000. In that particular post, the max data rate supplied by Bell Canada is 8 Gb/s, so, unfortunately it doesn't fully test the router's capability beyond 8 Gb/s.
Thanks for the link ill check it out
The 10Gbps i need it for LAN to LAN only, i have unRaid with 10Gb nic and my PC with 10Gb nic.
My ISP is 2.5Gb fiber optic with idiotic PPPoE [i never get above 2.2ggbps]

What kind of speed issues did you have? LAN-LAN?
On my AX89X, that has [faster? CPU, its quad core 2.2Ghz], I cant use any QOS becuase it limits my ISP speed to 1GB [maybe tad more], but i would never get my 2.2 [t hats what i get from 2.4 connection]
I do use AiProtect, mainly for other peoples mobile phones, i dont care about this feature for myself.
And the VPN on my router is broken, all i want is normal VPN, not use my router as VPN what asus offers me trought the app, but connect to VPN from router isde and not my PC so my PS5 could get cheaper games [for example] and this feature never worked properly on the AX89X
On the AXE16000, enabling any of the functions above would limit my wired upload and download speeds to 2.5Gbps. WAN-LAN. So Asus Tech Support basically told me to disable all of that to get optimal speeds. However, I switched to Asus routers for the AiProtection suite so not being able to use that was unacceptable.

I complained to Asus that on the RT-AX89X, I could still enable AiProtection and get close to my ISP-advertised 10Gbps fiber broadband, so that's what I'm sticking to for now. Enabling VPN will drop wired speeds to 1Gbps as per your experience. That worked fine for me.

How urgently do you need a solution in place? The ROG Rapture GT-BE98 should be out in a few months with 3x 10Gb ports and a quad core 2.6GHz CPU.

The ROG Rapture GT-BE98 should be out in a few months with 3x 10Gb ports and a quad core 2.6GHz CPU.

Best Buy lists the TP-Link - Archer BE900 and TP-Link - Deco BE95 with a release date of April 15th, 2023. I can't imagine the Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98 much further behind.

The Archer BE900 was available in Europe and the US last week.

Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98 has not received certification from FCC or Industry Canada yet, so it will probably be 2-3 months out.

The RT-BE96U was certified end of January and should be available soon, but only has 2x 10Gb ports.

So based on Dong Knows Tech review, it only does 6GB on 10Gb ports, but the review is from release day.
Its the only thing that stops me from buying it.

I want a single router instead of router and switch, i need two 10Gb ports, one for my PC, another for unraid and 2.5Gb WAN for the ISP, so this router is the only one that has everything i need in one package

If you're planning on 10Gb on your LAN - a consumer BHR/All-inOne isn't a good place to start...

It's a marketing feature - no disrespect to Asus...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!