What's new

Did I just brick my Asus?!?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cheston

New Around Here
Hi, I was updating the firmware to my router it said to manually restart the router which I did. When the power returned I could no longer detect the router. The power light was now blinking looking like it was in rescue mode. I tried to use the firmware restoration and the 30/30/30 method neither worked. The firmware restoration said that the router was not in rescue mode.

Please help!!

To unbrick

Good thing is ASUS has a recovery mode. Go to this link on the ASUS site
http://support.asus.com/download.as...C66U&p=11&s=2&os=29&hashedid=LzShv8ma7TrQB4eO

(the link is for Windows 7, 32-bit. If this is not your configuration, just go to support.asus.com and follow the instructions)
...and download the firmware and the restoration utility which is dated around the beginning of February. You have to install the utility on your computer. Run it and choose the firmware file. (you will have to extract from the ZIP format first).

Cross fingers for a no-brick result...

Try this steps:
1) On your pc set static ip 192.168.1.5, subnetmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1
2) Unplug power cable from the router
3) Turn it on to leave all excess of power…
4) Press the WPS button
5) Plug the powercord back on and then, after 1 or 2 seconds, press the reset button without releasing the WPS.
6) Wait a bit and only now release the WPS button while keeping the Reset button on.
7) Wait a bit more and release.
8) Wait and try to ping your router on 192.168.1.1
9) Flash firmware again with asus firmware restoration

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!