What's new

Difference between DNS Director "Adguard Adblock" and setting up an "Adguard Home" instance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
I wanted to setup a fast/effective way to block ad-related DNS queries on my LAN. I was going to setup an Adguard Home VM instance on my network... when I realized that Merlin has DNS-based filtering support already.

Are there any benefits to just using DNS Director Global Redirection: AdGuard Ad block filtering over AdGuard Home?

I could alternatively setup a AdGuard Home VM.. then let my Asus router's DHCP server to use AdGuard Home DNS. I'm just not sure what would be the fastest and most effective way to set this up.

Are there any benefits to just using DNS Director Global Redirection: AdGuard Ad block filtering over AdGuard Home?
DNS Director is NOT a web filter, although you can you use your favorite public DNS server which has filtering capabilities, like Cloudflare Family DNS server: 1.1.1.3 (no adult content & malware sites)
There is no granular control on the web filtering, like AdGuard Home.
DNS Director is Global Redirection tool. It is a tool that overrides your router WAN & LAN DNS server setting.
So when it is enabled, your client devices on the network won't be able to use the WAN & LAN DNS IPs.
It is a tool where you can redirect all your DNS query to well known public free DNS server A.
Or it can be used to redirect a partial of you client devices to another DNS server B, while another group of clients stick to DNS server A.
This is where User Defined DNS 1, 2, 3 and No Redirection come into use.
Kind of hard to explain without diagrams.

AdGuuard Ad block or blocker, I believe is a browser extension.

AdGuard Home is complete system where can be installed within Asuswrt-Merlin: https://github.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer
It is already included in amtm: https://diversion.ch/amtm.html
I have not personally try it myself on my router yet. But I am testing it running docker on my UnRaid server.

Last edited:
I could alternatively setup a AdGuard Home VM.. then let my Asus router's DHCP server to use AdGuard Home DNS. I'm just not sure what would be the fastest and most effective way to set this up.
To me the fastest way is to install using docker image.
In terms of which one is more effective comparing to other competitors? Like NextDNS, no idea yet. But definitely better than Pi-hole.

Yes - setting up AdGuard DNS takes 5 seconds and you don't have to install AdGuard Home.

So when it is enabled, your client devices on the network won't be able to use the WAN & LAN DNS IPs.

This is incorrect.

Which part is incorrect?

The whole part. We had a conversation about this in your previous thread and seems like you still can't catch the logic of DNS Director when Global Redirection is used with or without DNS servers specified in LAN and WAN and when User Defined DNS is used in DNS Director. You were given examples and explanations already as well as DNS Director Wiki page. What else you need to be explained to you and how many times?

I wanted to setup a fast/effective way to block ad-related DNS queries on my LAN. I was going to setup an Adguard Home VM instance on my network... when I realized that Merlin has DNS-based filtering support already.

AdGuardAdblock is a remote DNS server that provides "limited and/or subscription based adblocking". AdGuardHome is a customizable local dns service adblocking solution (similar to diversion).

AdGuardAdblock is a remote DNS server that provides "limited and/or subscription based adblocking". AdGuardHome is a customizable local dns service adblocking solution (similar to diversion).

Correct, Try out the DNS based solution and see if it meets your needs, if you need to avoid blocking some sites, then install one of the local solutions.