What's new

Difference between selecting 160 and 20/40/80/160 as channel width?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
What is the difference? It seems that 20, 40 and 80 MHz clients can still connect even if strictly 160 is selected. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Maybe it's placebo but it seems there is a very slight speed bump and improvement in performance and stability if only 160 is selected vs 20/40/80/160. Same with 80 and 20/40/80. But I could be wrong about that, based on testing it seemed that way, but it could have been other factors or margin of error.

I have an AX86U, but every Asus router has those options.

It seems that 20, 40 and 80 MHz clients can still connect even if strictly 160 is selected.
Correct.

Maybe it's placebo but it seems there is a very slight speed bump and improvement in performance and stability if only 160 is selected vs 20/40/80/160. Same with 80 and 20/40/80. But I could be wrong about that, based on testing it seemed that way, but it could have been other factors or margin of error.
Placebo.

See this post from earlier today.

So what's the point then, if both settings effectively do 20/40/80/160. Is it a glitch?

How I see it...

Consider 20/40/80/160 to be variable max bandwidth whereby the router may reduce its max bandwidth to maintain performance in congested radio space... like ch Auto.

Setting a fixed max bandwidth does not permit the router to decide EXCEPT for 160MHz as is mandated by RADAR/DFS regulation.

OE

How I see it...

Consider 20/40/80/160 to be variable max bandwidth whereby the router may reduce its max bandwidth to maintain performance in congested radio space... like ch Auto.

Setting a fixed max bandwidth does not permit the router to decide EXCEPT for 160MHz as is mandated by RADAR/DFS regulation.

OE
Ohh I see, so it is variable max bandwidth. I thought it meant you couldn't connect to the network at any other channel width. Mine has been set to 20/40/80 and it's never switched from 80, but I am using a completely clear DFS channel. I wonder if it would occasionally switch to 40 or even 20 if using a congested channel, I doubt it honestly.

Ohh I see, so it is variable max bandwidth. I thought it meant you couldn't connect to the network at any other channel width. Mine has been set to 20/40/80 and it's never switched from 80, but I am using a completely clear DFS channel. I wonder if it would occasionally switch to 40 or even 20 if using a congested channel, I doubt it honestly.

Router sets max bw; clients connect with their best bw and no greater than router max bw... all around the current control channel.

Can't say I've seen less than 80MHz router max bw but then I have little interference, if any, here... and I fix 80MHz.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!