What's new

Difference Passive vs Active Scanning when searching for AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FreshJR

Very Senior Member
From quick reading on the internet, I found the following

Passive Scanning: Client waits and reads AP beacons
Active Scanning: Client issues a probe request and waits for AP probe response

It has been said that Active Scanning is faster than Passive Scanning, but I have found that NOT to be the case with 5ghz networks.

My android tablet is only allowed to connect to my 5ghz SSID. It also turns OFF wireless while in sleep mode. (This greatly increases standby battery life and I don't need connected standby).

With active scanning, I'm speculating that the wifi most likely has to do ~5-10sec scan for DFS activity before being allowed to send out the probe request. (This is just my speculation, but I do see that 2.4ghz SSID's show up immediately while 5 ghz SSID's are significantly delayed).

I have my router's 5ghz beacon interval set at 100ms.

When I switched my tablet from Active Scanning -> Passive Scanning, I found that 5ghz networks show up immedietly. This leds me to having significantly quicker connectivity after standby.

--

Main question, is there any drawback from switching to "Passive Scanning" from "Active Scanning" in the wireless driver?

I am also assuming "Passive Scanning" grants additional tracking privacy due to your device not sending out probe requests to AP's in public places.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!