What's new

Different WAN IP and Public IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tonysamson

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Why is it that my Asus AC66U router reports that my WAN IP is 100.84.84.229 but when I go and check it on sites like whatsmyip.org it says that my IP is 203.215.118.41.

I'm on a Dynamic IP btw if that would help.

I'm trying to figure out why I can't make use of the AiCloud feature despite representations from my ISP provider that they don't block any ports on my subscription.

Are you using chrome ore firefox as your browser?
are you using the plugin "iphuck" wich acts as a proxy and hides your ip

Are you using chrome ore firefox as your browser?
are you using the plugin "iphuck" wich acts as a proxy and hides your ip

Nope. I don't hide my proxy.

100.84.84.229 is shared address space, this means that address is behind some kind of NAT.

http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-100-64-0-0-1/pft

I think you're right. So does that mean I'm in a some kind of a double NAT? And there is no way for me to make Aicloud to function?

Seems so.

But it's strange that your ISP said they are not blocking any ports. They are essentially blocking ALL ports...

I have not seen this before. I am curious who is your ISP provider? Who handles your dynamic DNS?

I'm from Manila, Philippines. My ISP is BayanDSL. Anyway I was able to force them to open up some ports for me and I got my AiCloud working already. :D

As for the IPs I'm still at a lost why I've got two different IPs. One as reported in my router and the other as reported by sites like whatsmyip.org.

Sounds like you need to get your ISP to help you get their modem into bridge mode. Smells like double NAT to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've already configured my ISP's modem/router into bridge mode. I've seen a double NAT situation before, and Asus' DDNS will report that the IP is invalid. Mine seems good. Well Actually it's not just good, it's working as I can access it from the outside.

This address space is Carrier Grade Nat; it's for when ISP's don't have enough IPV4 addresses to allocate to all their subscribers, so as well as your router NATing the connection, the ISP is doing it too.

BT Retail in the UK are also doing this to some of their cheaper packages too!

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!