1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

different wireless mode for main/guest

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by thobux, Feb 22, 2019.

1. thobux

thobux Occasional Visitor

I was wondering if I can downgrade a guest network to Legacy while keeping N for main wifi.
    Why would I be interested in such a setup: I got LIFX bulbs that need legacy settings to not loose connectivity…
    Any ideas … thanks

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

No. Guests are just virtual interface, they share the same radio, therefore the same transport settings.

3. FreshJR

FreshJR Very Senior Member

Not in my expierence.

I had my 2.4g network set to N only for the longest time ( I have no old devices).

I then later dug out an old laptop since I needed an SD card reader. I got confused since I couldn’t connect that laptop the main WiFi as I wanted transfer the data onto to my NAS but that laptop could connect the the guest network without issue.

Long story short, the laptop has no wireless n functionality.

Main network was 2.4n only
    Guest network did not take settings from the main network and was 2.4legacy.

Laptop could still connect to guest.

Has me wondering if the legacy switch only does not allow wireless b/g to connect to the network the software side but still broadcast the signal.

4. thobux

Hmm, interesting. I'll give it a try at some point.

5. thobux

So I did some tests here. My situation is with LIFX bulbs/beams. It seems your approach works for the beam (no legacy for 2.4 but connected via guest) but not for the bulb. Hmm, undecided.