What's new

Disable access to LAN for a specific device.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chewie420

Regular Contributor
Hi I am not sure what the best way to go about this is but I have a device that I would like to have internet but not have access to other devices on my LAN.

I am using to run Ubuntu on a pi for a wi-fi hotspot.

I would like to limit the pi IP Address to only be able to access internet.

Is that a setting I can enable in Merlin or that is that something I need to do in Ubuntu OS.

thanks for any help!

I also wanted to know how I tell what version of the Asus firmware I am running now that I have Merlin running.

Is that a setting I can enable in Merlin or that is that something I need to do in Ubuntu OS.
If the Pi is connected to the router's LAN port then you need to do this in Ubuntu.

I also wanted to know how I tell what version of the Asus firmware I am running now that I have Merlin running.
It's written at the top of every page in the GUI.

If the Pi is connected to the router's LAN port then you need to do this in Ubuntu.

It's written at the top of every page in the GUI.
Thanks I will try to find an answer in Ubuntu forums.

I am in no means an expert but I thought you also had to update the Asus supplied firmware and merlin on top of it. I am using Merlin 386.5_2 but I wanted to know if I had Asus Version 3.0.0.4.386.48631. The one supplied here.

Another time I was trying to fix an issue and someone asked what version I was running and since I didn't know I had to update both and was just updating merlin I was not able to use new features. It was fixed by installing the new Asus firmware and then putting merlin back on. I had to run a command to show the info but for the life of me can't remember what that was.

I am in no means an expert but I thought you also had to update the Asus supplied firmware and merlin on top of it. I am using Merlin 386.5_2 but I wanted to know if I had Asus Version 3.0.0.4.386.48631.
No. When you install Merlin's firmware it completely replaces the Asus firmware. The only things that are retained are the user settings (e.g. WiFi passwords, LAN IP address, etc.) as they are stored separately from the firmware image.

No. When you install Merlin's firmware it completely replaces the Asus firmware. The only things that are retained are the user settings (e.g. WiFi passwords, LAN IP address, etc.) as they are stored separately from the firmware image.
Ok so I was wrong. I was so confused when I was told that before but it fixed my issue so I thought it was true lol

All good now! Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!