What's new

Disable LAN port on Asus wifi repeaters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

criminala

Regular Contributor
Since I am planning to use a wifi repeater in a hallway which is also accessible to other (unknown) people , I would like to disable the LAN port which these repeaters (almost always) have on board .
So no one can come and just plug in an rj45 and get access to the internal network .

Or if any proper wifi repeater without lan port exist that is OK for me too .

I have tried netgear and tp-link wifi repeaters but they all come with their own security issues (not being able to disable lan port , not being able to change password for repeated signal from the internal signal , not being able to permanently disable the lights after unplugging , and so on ..) .

Am looking at Asus products right now since my main router is an AX86U .

Better to hide where no one has physical access and use poe to power the device.
since this will just be a transparent repeater, why not Ubiquiti ?

@itpp20
Well superglue , haha , not that i did not think about such solutions but it will mess up the warranty of the device itself .

A physical lock is OK in secure places where only restricted personnel comes in . Just so no one accidently plugs something in . It is not meant for public places where if someone has physical access to the device can also remove it and have immediate network access through the port . It is not a route I want to go .

Thank you for trying to find solutions though :)

@degrub
I am open to anything that suits my needs really . Can Ubiquity lock/disable it's ethernet port through it's software that you know ?
I saw the UAP-AC-M , but it is unavailable . Also I think it needs a separate controller ?
Any other recommendation ?

What I need needs to be able to :
- Connect to the 5Ghz on the AX86U router (repeater mode , not access point)
- Be able to create a seperate SSID on 2.4Ghz , with a different password than the password used on the 5Ghz band
- No ethernet port that has access to the internal network or one that I can disable
- Be able to shut off lights which stay off even after a power outage or reboot of the unit
- Have high output (preferably higher than 20dbm , out of the box or through a mod)
- At least MiMO 2x2

Last edited:
If we're talking about a router that can be reconfigured as a repeater, then any router that supports VLANs natively can easily be reconfigured to simply NOT include certain ports in the default VLAN to prevent their use. You could pick up a cheap T-Mobile TM-AC1900 on eBay ($30-40) (which is just a rebranded ASUS RT-AC68U), install FreshTomato (my preference and recommendation) or DD-WRT, and do most everything you've described, including disable the LEDs. What I can't speak to is dBi. Whatever it is (can't imagine it's anything close to 20dBi, that's pretty high), there's probably replacement antennas available to improve it.

If we're talking about a router that can be reconfigured as a repeater...

No we are not talking about that .

If Asus would not have a proper wifi repeater in their lineup , what would you recommend for my repeater usecase ?

Last edited:
Tried a CPE510 from tplink today but it was not even seeing the Asus AX86U 5ghz network ... so I sent it back .

I welcome any other recommendations for a proper wifi repeater .

- Connect to the 5Ghz on the AX86U router (repeater mode , not access point)
- Be able to create a seperate SSID on 2.4Ghz , with a different password than the password used on the 5Ghz band
- No ethernet port that has access to the internal network or one that I can disable
- Be able to shut off lights which stay off even after a power outage or reboot of the unit
- Have high output (preferably higher than 20dbm , out of the box or through a mod)
- At least MiMO 2x2

Last edited:
If you are talking about a *wired* AP, then don't overlook the possibilty of someone disconnecting the AP and plugging in directly to the connection. If you are looking at a wireless backhaul for the AP, then it isn't an issue obviously :)