What's new

Disable network scanning ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ibanesh

New Around Here
Hi,
I'm running Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 on a AC68U router (t-mobile cellspot router TM-AC1900 to be precise). My university's residential network requires the router to be setup as an access point. So I have the router configured as an access point and have all my devices (wired and wireless) connected to it.

I noticed that at a particular time everyday all devices lose internet access for a couple of minutes and reconnect again. Sometime this happens more than once a day. It almost always observe this loss of access every time I open the router page. When I called the network admin to enquire about this issue, they said that this behavior is usually seen while running any network discovery tools. I was also able to reproduce the effect every time I ran a network discover tool.

This makes me think that the network mapping/scanning service in the firmware might be causing the connection issue. So, I would like to disable the mapping service and test it out. Is there a way to do that? I can't find any option in the firmware to disable it, maybe there is some other way to do it?

Thanks

You can't disable it, but you can try manually terminating the process through SSH:

Code:
killall networkmap

Note that this service can potentially restart itself under certain circunstances (for instance any settings change that can affect it will restart it). In an AP these scenarios might be rare however.

Also note that it will obviously restart again if you reboot the router.

Thanks for replying Merlin. I tried that, but unfortunately the process restarts within a few seconds after I kill it and disconnects all devices. Guess I have to live with it for now. I'll tryout dd-wrt or Tomato to see if that helps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!