What's new

Disable VPN on Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cloaky

Occasional Visitor
Hello there Friends,

I need a small help with my network setup.

I own a RT-AC68 running the latest Merlin distribution (384.15). I have 3 wireless networks running:
  • 5 GHz
  • 2.4 GHz
  • Guest 2.4 GHz
On top of that, I was able to setup my VPN using OpenVPN. All settings are pretty much set to default, expect:
  • Force Internet traffic through tunnel: Policy Rules
  • Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel: I included only the devices that I want to force VPN
The setup is working as intended, all devices running on the 5 and 2.4 GHz are connecting to the internet directly, expect the ones on the "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel" list.

The problem is only happening on the Guest 2.4 GHz, it has no access to the internet!

Am I missing anything? Why the devices connected to the 5 GHz and not on the list are able to connect to the internet while the devices connected on the Guest 2.4 GHz have no access?

Important not, manually mapping devices on the guest network is not an option.

5xfy7K8.png

yBXU70Z.png

Last edited:
You should post a screenshot of your OpenVPN config and possibly your DNSFilter section too. The description you have provided is pretty scarce right now. ;)

You should post a screenshot of your OpenVPN config and possibly your DNSFilter section too. The description you have provided is pretty scarce right now. ;)

Done! I did add some photos. DNSFilter is off :)

Thanks Mate

I hope that is enough additional info for the gurus to help you with. :)

Whats in your policy rules for clients? Are your guest clients supposed to be using the tunnel or not?

Whats in your policy rules for clients? Are your guest clients supposed to be using the tunnel or not?

Hey Maverickcdn, the policy rules are forcing a few clientes to use the VPN.
qidnfEc.png

The Guest clientes are not supposed to be using the tunnel. But for a unknown reason, they don't even have access to the internet.

If none of those IPs are guest network IPs then your VPN I would think is not the issue

I would try removing the guest network and re-adding it and see if the issue persists. Its this or full-reset and re-config

Are you running any other add-ons/scripts etc?

If none of those IPs are guest network IPs then your VPN I would think is not the issue

I would try removing the guest network and re-adding it and see if the issue persists. Its this or full-reset and re-config

Are you running any other add-ons/scripts etc?

I have identified the issue, and it is not the VPN. I also have a Pi Hole running and the guest network doesn't not have access to the intranet. Into a new quest!

thanks for the help mate.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!