What's new

Disable Wifi on Router while leaving AiMesh Wifi enabled (Cat5e Backhaul)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

qhealy

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the radio on the router (RT-AC68U) while leaving the wifi on my two AI Mesh satellites enabled. I'm using a cat5e backhaul to connect the router to the satellites. I find due to the restriction i have with router/modem placement in the house (proximity to fibre) the satellite and the router are too close to each other. This is causing pausing of wifi calls as the phone negotiates between satellite and router during handoff.

thanks .

Why not try it instead of waiting for someone to reply?

If it doesn't work why not remove the satellite instead?

In terms of trying it, there seems to be multiple ways of going about it, button on the side of the router, using nvram, using the gui. If I disable wifi and my satellites stop working then it's a big undertaking to get it back when i don't have ethernet on my laptop. I'd prefer to ask someone with experience in order to reduce that risk.

The router is located in a utility room with four walls and a door around. It's not in an ideal position to service the whole house. I need the satellite receivers to provide good coverage throughout the house.

I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the radio on the router (RT-AC68U) while leaving the wifi on my two AI Mesh satellites enabled.
Hi!
Yes, you definitely can.
You have the same setup as me (I have only one AiMesh node)
If you want, you can disable WiFi on main router (Wireless -> Professional) set "Enable Radio" to "No" for both band
1681832159361.png

1681832090547.png

1681832119126.png

Apologies for the delay in the response I was factory resetting the router due to nvram issues. Disabling the radio under wireless->professional works. thanks for the help guys.

Is Guest Network working in this configuration?
To be honest, I have no idea :oops:
I personally don't use guest network (yet)
But I think, it can work if you first set up Wi-Fi (including the guest network), and only then turn off the radio on the main router.
In any case, you should do it in this order, at least to configure the SSID and WPA Key.
Perhaps someone can comment on this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!