What's new

Disabling Firewall on Huawei HG658c

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deej78

New Around Here
Hi, I have a Huawei HG658c provided by Vodafone Ireland (ADSL) and I disabled its Firewall. I have a ASUS N66Ru plugged into LAN port 1 which provides the internet to the ASUS. When I connect ASUS to the WAN port of the Huawei, ASUS doesn’t get an internet connection. That’s the first question, is this right or is there a better way to get the ASUS connected to the internet preserving all its functions? Secondly, disabling the Huawei firewalls has speeded up my internet speed (or ping) ten fold. Why would this be?

I also changed some of the settings on the ASUS such as, N only, 20mhz fixed, and this again has vastly improved WiFi connection especially over 5ghz. Is there anything else I can do to squeeze a bit more performance out of this setup. I have cat6 running everywhere which helps gaming to a NVidia Shield @ 1080p 60fps. This is my first post so I thought all of the above is a good place to start for a networking enthusiast which my wife can’t understand lol.

Cheers.

you have change the mode of the Huawei to "bridge mode".
plug the Asus into a lan port on the Huawai.

You need one of the two to provide firewall services, NAT, and DHCP. With the Huawei in "bridge" the Asus will have to do all of that.

BTW, search the forum and the HOWTO sections to answer your question. That is one reason why no one responded.