What's new

Disappointed with Linksys EA9500. Advice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Entourage

Occasional Visitor
I purchased the EA9500 in late November. For the amount I paid for this, I'm really not happy. My previous router was a ASUS RT-AC56U (AC1900).

I was hoping with this router I would get better signal in other parts of apartment on the 5GHz channel and possibly faster speeds. I don't believe I got either and it seems like this router is more flakey than my 2yr old ASUS.

When I'm playing games on phone with the 2.4GHz band, my ping is constantly spiking from 30-60 to 1k+ every 10 to 15 minutes. I thought it was the game server so I switched games but same shirt happened. So I switched to the 5GHz band and my ping doesn't spike as it did on the 2.4GHz band but I frequently get disconnected from the 5GHz band then it reconnects itself within 5 to 10 seconds. These disconnects are happening when I supposedly have "very strong" or "strong" signal and happen pretty frequently.

I have a galaxy s7 and when I connect to the 5GHz channel it appears I'm using MU-MIMO. I have band steering on.

Does anyone have any suggestion to what to do before I return this and go back to my ASUS router or order the nighthawk router? To be honest, I was leaning towards the nighthawk router from the beginning til I saw theach review putting this router above the nighthawk. Is anyone have similar issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You'll need multiple access points preferably with a wired backhaul (connected via ethernet) if you want a surefire way of improving your wireless coverage. Buying more expensive and newer routers is not going to improve range.

From the last paragraph of the review:

In the end, this is just another really expensive router that's unlikely to light up any of your pesky dead spots or handle a large number of devices any better than a much cheaper AC3200 class tri-radio alternative

Routers are more alike than different in wireless performance. If you are looking to extend 5 GHz range, you typically need to add another access point connected via Ethernet or powerline. Extenders can work in some cases if your bandwidth requirements are modest.

From the last paragraph of the review:

Routers are more alike than different in wireless performance. If you are looking to extend 5 GHz range, you typically need to add another access point connected via Ethernet or powerline. Extenders can work in some cases if your bandwidth requirements are modest.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so I should be able to get signal in every room. The speeds are definitely better than the old ASUS AC56U, just can't believe the range is the same and that's how it's suppose to be with all the changes in technology and everything else to see a brand new router with the same range after all the bs they say about this will extend the range blah blah. Anyway, I'm debating between turning off smart steering and seeing if that fixes the problem with the 5ghz channel disconnecting and reconnecting or returning it and buying a nighthawk. Which leads to my next question, x4s, x6, or x8? Do you have any recommendations?

After looking at them side by side on amazon it seems like the X4S is probably better than the x6 but the x8 is slightly better than the x4s and a tri band where as the the x4s is dual band. Do you have a suggestion on which one I should go with if I go down this route?

You're right that a lot of consumer Wi-Fi marketing is blah blah. That's why SNB is here.

Range is largely dictated by the laws of physics. The shorter wavelength of 5 GHz signals means signals are reduced more when passing through solid objects. The other limitation is that all manufacturers must follow rules on maximum transmit power in order to be approved by the FCC or other country regulatory agencies. Some companies have gamed this (like ASUS), but they eventually are caught and punished.

Beamforming can help a bit if the receiving device also supports beamforming (it has to support 802.11ac to support a standardized form of beamforming).

Our standard recommendation is that AC1900 routers are the best combination of price and performance. Tri-radio routers mainly can help increase capacity through the addition of the second 5 GHz radio.

Yes, turning off some of a router's special features can help compatibilty problems because they usually involve proprietary methods that are not supported by the majority of devices.

BTW, the RT-AC56U is an AC1200 class router, not AC1900.

I would try disabling band steering and see if it helps.

I purchased the EA9500 in late November. For the amount I paid for this, I'm really not happy. My previous router was a ASUS RT-AC56U (AC1900).

I was hoping with this router I would get better signal in other parts of apartment on the 5GHz channel and possibly faster speeds. I don't believe I got either and it seems like this router is more flakey than my 2yr old ASUS.
Based on my own experience with a number of Asus routers, I would suggest that you go back to an Asus model with external antennas (keep in mind that the communication is a two way process - devices need also to be "heard" by the router) and use a "tweaked" firmware for better wireless range. :rolleyes:

And: as there is no "magic" in the WLAN coverage and reception, you might also end up with a solution as I do: only Router AND Access Point TOGETHER give me the coverage I need! ;)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:

When I'm playing games on phone with the 2.4GHz band, my ping is constantly spiking from 30-60 to 1k+ every 10 to 15 minutes. I thought it was the game server so I switched games but same shirt happened. So I switched to the 5GHz band and my ping doesn't spike as it did on the 2.4GHz band but I frequently get disconnected from the 5GHz band then it reconnects itself within 5 to 10 seconds. These disconnects are happening when I supposedly have "very strong" or "strong" signal and happen pretty frequently.

I have a galaxy s7 and when I connect to the 5GHz channel it appears I'm using MU-MIMO. I have band steering on.

Does anyone have any suggestion to what to do before I return this and go back to my ASUS router or order the nighthawk router? To be honest, I was leaning towards the nighthawk router from the beginning til I saw theach review putting this router above the nighthawk. Is anyone have similar issues?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You should not be getting these disconnects. Take it back for another or get a different model if not willing to get the same replacement. I am not having that problem with my EA9500. As for the 2.4GHz. That band well it frankly sucks and is near useless now a days. So no surprise you are seeing issues. Especially if you have lots of wifi competition in the neighborhood you live in.

You should not be getting these disconnects. Take it back for another or get a different model if not willing to get the same replacement. I am not having that problem with my EA9500. As for the 2.4GHz. That band well it frankly sucks and is near useless now a days. So no surprise you are seeing issues. Especially if you have lots of wifi competition in the neighborhood you live in.

i do unfortunately, when my device searches for WiFi in my apartment there has to be 10ish devices in a pretty close range. The lag on the 2.4ghz network is really only noticeable when playing games like Vain Glory, Clash Royale, anything that requires a constant download/upload connection. For just browsing and facebook type of stuff a person wouldnt even notice they have an issue. Its just at the price point of the EA9500, i have higher expectations. If i wanted something to lag and crap out i would buy a >$100 router.

i do unfortunately, when my device searches for WiFi in my apartment there has to be 10ish devices in a pretty close range. The lag on the 2.4ghz network is really only noticeable when playing games like Vain Glory, Clash Royale, anything that requires a constant download/upload connection. For just browsing and facebook type of stuff a person wouldnt even notice they have an issue. Its just at the price point of the EA9500, i have higher expectations. If i wanted something to lag and crap out i would buy a >$100 router.

I need to correct my previous post. I thought it was just a random thing. But I have been getting a complaint the last 2 days or so. One of the iPod Touch 6th gen will disconnect and then reconnect a few seconds later. Now I have all my devices set to DHCP reservations with in the router gui. This last disconnect. I compared the time with the lease time when it renews. The time frame was right. It had happened 20-25 mins ago. I am not sure what this is all about. I have not heard of any complaining about constant disconnects as a whole in my house. Just this one that seems to happen once the 24 hrs is up to renew. I did not come across this problem testing for a week with the WRT3200ACM.

This could be a firmware bug? 2.4GHz side. I only have a wireless printer and a PS4 using that band. The PS4 is used a lot online for gaming and I have not heard a complaint. Have you tried locking the channel? I have mine set to 6. 1, 6 and 11 are the best ones to use. But I really try to avoid 2.4GHz as a whole the best I can. I put everything on 5GHz usually when it is a must using wifi. Regardless how I feel about 2.4GHz and you need to use it for what ever reason. It should be working and not having the problem you are having.

I would try disabling band steering and see if it helps.

I disabled band steering and set the 2.4ghz band to channel 9 and it seems to fix the problem. I'm kind of reluctant to say it's fixed and be done. But I haven't had an issue on the 2.4ghz for 4hrs now

I disabled band steering and set the 2.4ghz band to channel 9 and it seems to fix the problem. I'm kind of reluctant to say it's fixed and be done. But I haven't had an issue on the 2.4ghz for 4hrs now

Band steering is great on paper, the problem is that not every clients will play nicely with it. In some cases it will cause what you describe: frequent disconnections, as the device can get bumped to another radio.

IMHO, it's best to keep all three radios separate, with their own SSIDs, and manually decide to which radio you connect each of your clients. The end result will be having the benefits of separating slow and fast clients, without the compatibility issues involved.

Still having issues with latency on the 2.4ghz network but the 5ghz is working great and no longer disconnecting. Not really sure why the 2.4ghz network would be lagging so much.

On my old router (asus rt-ac56u) I was forced to use the 2.4ghz channel because the 5ghz was terrible and range was pretty bad. Can't just get a router where both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz work well :/.

Any suggestions with the 2.4ghz I'm all ears.

The 2.4 GHz band is highly susceptible to interference, as that band is overcrowded, and its long range mean that any neighbour will also potentially impact your performance.

First rule is to use an application to view what channels your neighbours are using, and then setting your router on the least crowded channel. Note that non-overlapping channels are limited to 1, 6 and 11 (as a router's channel width is larger than a single channel).

The 2.4 GHz band is highly susceptible to interference, as that band is overcrowded, and its long range mean that any neighbour will also potentially impact your performance.

First rule is to use an application to view what channels your neighbours are using, and then setting your router on the least crowded channel. Note that non-overlapping channels are limited to 1, 6 and 11 (as a router's channel width is larger than a single channel).

Linksys also suggest channel 9 as well. http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=136797 I have always read pick 1, 6 or 11. Not 9 as well. So not sure on that one regardless of what Linksys says.

Last edited:
Still having issues with latency on the 2.4ghz network but the 5ghz is working great and no longer disconnecting. Not really sure why the 2.4ghz network would be lagging so much.

On my old router (asus rt-ac56u) I was forced to use the 2.4ghz channel because the 5ghz was terrible and range was pretty bad. Can't just get a router where both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz work well :/.

Any suggestions with the 2.4ghz I'm all ears.

If the previous router was working fine with 2.4GHz. And you have tried all steps with this EA9500. Including reloading the firmware followed up by a factory reset. You might have a faulty 2.4GHz radio. Like I said though earlier. 2.4GHz frankly sucks and its a bummer you have to even use it. 5GHz has poor range. So don't expect going to far. The more you go. The more speed drop you will get.

How could Linksys say 9 is not an over lapping channel when clearly it is. Goes to show they have no clue what they are talking about and their firmware is the worst in the industry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk