What's new

Disconnects from Device when Transferring Large files over LAN. Asus Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This what I have...

-Asus RT-AC68u Router
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376_1663
-Windows 7 32-bit Connected via ethernet cable
-Synology NAS ds214 play connected via ethernet cable
-Windows 7 64 bit connected to router via Asus USB-AC56 adapter.

Here is the problem...

When I transfer large files, sometimes the target device's connection will drop. Needless to say, "sometimes" complicates things.

I am simply copying a file from my Windows 7-64 bit (wireless) machine to the Synology NAS. And it will start out okay, and at some point, the connection will drop.

Here is what I noticed...

If I am transferring files AND downloading off the internet at the same time, the connection is much more likely to drop which makes sense, but I would think if the traffic is "saturated", I would think it should slow down - not drop.

If I am transferring files from my PC to the NAS and there is not other traffic (no internet surfing, no downloading, etc), it works better (not every time though).

NOTE: If I copy between the two wired devices (Windows 7 32 bit PC and Synology drive), it is much more stable, but if I put enough load on it (i.e multiple sessions of copying files), it will disconnect.

Here is what I did...

- Disabled IPv6 on wireless adapters and Synology NAS as I read that can cause connection drops.
- This is a brand new router. In the initial set up, I flashed the new firmware right away and did the rest of my set up.
- Made sure I had the latest driver on my wireless AC adapter. That is new too.

I am not sure what else to try to avoid this.

Is there a router setting that can be tweaked?
I thought about switching to ASUSwrt-Merlin regardless, but I am wondering if it is something in the firmware?
Is it not router related at all?
Finally, is it something I just need to deal with?

I would start with trying older firmware, 5517 and 5656.

Another thing to try before testing other firmwares. Transfer a large file from hard wired PC to PC with WiFi card and other way around, eliminate nas out of equation.

Try a different cable. Between nas and router. Is it a certified cat 6 cable?
A proper shielded lan cable should be thick, and not flimsy and thin.

Nas has the latest firmware?

I've only worked with Netgear NAS in the past and they handle heavy traffic from multiple sources with no issues.

Last edited:
After upgrading my RT-N66U to Merlin build 3.0.0.4.376.45_0 I started seeing similar behaviour.

Copying a large file or multiple files over wifi will fail part way and cause all connected devices to disconnect - the router appears to lock up and requires a power cycle. Did not have this issue with builds previous to 3.0.0.4_376.44_0 which merged with Asus's 376_2044 GPL.