What's new

Discord Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Does SNB Have a discord server?

If not, collectively, I think it would be a great place to hang out for network support and to help each other.

What do you think?

I wouldn't. I'm not eight years old. No social network(s) use allowed on my network or my devices. :)

I come when I can to help. I'm not on call 24/7/365. :cool:

Until I joined snbforums so late in my life, my previous interactions were with Faxes. Lol... This is as social as it gets.

Merry Christmas to all!

No, but the Asuswrt-Merlin crowd does have an IRC channel, where we sit at around 90 members online on average.

I wouldn't. I'm not eight years old. No social network(s) use allowed on my network or my devices. :)

Until I joined snbforums so late in my life, my previous interactions were with Faxes. Lol... This is as social as it gets.

Merry Christmas to all!
8 years old lol, I'm 49 and use and run a discord server, my son, daughter and nephew idle in it, as do my friends from around the EU that I play various games with, mostly overwatch and wow. I also idle in map making channels etc, and run several bots in my channel. It's a great tool for gaming and tech support. For example you can screen share and guide people through a setup process etc. There is probably around 25 people in my channel, but I haven't been running it that long. There are also bug fixer channels etc, just about everything really.

I used to use IRC, about 20 years ago for counterstrike, but it is sooo dated now. I think we had about 150 people when I was in a reasonably successful counterstrike clan. From memory I think it was Mirc we used on quakenet.

Just a thought anyway, using it regularly I can see how it would suit SNB, that said if you guys are happy with IRC that is also fine. I would be quite happy to assist setting it up if there is any interest, if not we can leave it be. Although I think instant support on all kinds of router issues in a channel could be successful.

@Clark Griswald @L&LD I love the fact you guys are so modern. Where can I upgrade my US Robotics Sportster 28,800 to such spaceage technology ?

I also love the fact you are called Clark Griswald, he is a personal hero of mine, and I love to watch the Christmas Vacation during the season, reminds me so much of my own family.

There are a few of us with special talents that cross space-time and are able and willing to live simultaneously in the past while using and enjoying the futuristic new gadgets, minimally. :D

You don't need to actually have a US Robotics Sportster, just knowing about it puts you half way there!

Merry Christmas to all!
Keeping up with the times doesn't mean you're young just means you aren't a fool. Tech improves on a daily basis. IRC is the basis of what things run on, I mean basic programming code mostly still runs on Unix. I think a Discord server is an excellent idea.

Communicating via the latest fad isn't keeping up with the times to me. What I learned about communicating (without computers, mind you) helping out, is still serving me very well. :)

I remember a few years ago... "Hey, why aren't you using What's App? It's great! I use it to keep in touch with my kids, why don't you also join in?". Which I kept refusing to do.

Cue 2021...

"Everyone, uninstall What's App. They are stealing all of your personal data. Switch to Signal instead."

I also get people asking me "Why not use Telegram?" Well, why would I want to share my personal phone number with a foreign company just so I can communicate with others on what is the current fad, and which I suspect will also go away a few years from now?

IRC isn't owned by a company, it's run by enthusiasts, so I don't have to worry about these types of things happening a few years down the road. I've been using IRC since the early 90's. It "just works".

I don't want to keep changing communication platform every 3-4 years just because things come and go. Where's Google Hangouts now?

While I have a deep respect for all of the above posters @RMerlin @L&LD , discord is not a fad.

It runs on the following:

Operating system: Windows; macOS; Linux; iOS; iPadOS; Android; Web browsers
Programming languages: JavaScript, Python, React, Rust, Elixir

It has over 250million users worldwide, whereas IRC has gone from a peak of 1 million users in 2004 to aprox only 400,000 today. Indeed I used to use IRC back then daily and it was great in its day.

While discord now is technically a company, it was also created and is still maintained by enthusiasts.

It has VOIP, video conferencing, screen sharing,content delivery and instant messaging technologies. Discord also "just works"

I don't wish to make this sound like an advert for discord, I am merely a user who runs a few servers, but I would suggest that 90% of the gaming community use it daily, including but not limited to twitch streamers, you tubers and gamers. Personally I find it an invaluable tool to what I do online.

That said I have now opened a server called "The IT Crowd" yes it's a bit tongue in cheek, but we are aiming to keep it light hearted. I will post on another thread about this later when we are ready to go live.

It is essentially the cream of the gaming community thus far, and we are making it a Nerd place to idle, it automatically follows reddit/linux / windows / networking / technology in some rooms, and also maketecheasier from you tube, and linustech. I am also adding RSS feeds from geekness around the net. So you can see live as new threads are posted there. We are also offering support to gamers and the community via a bot that runs a ticket system where any of our staff(volunteers) can help with a ticket. We are also not on call 24/7, we operate during usual EU gaming hours, perhaps US gaming hours in the future. Tickets are answered when we can on a voluntary basis, that is the basic premise of our operation.

I will be looking for people who simply just want to "hangout" or need support, but also people who can volunteer their services as support. So far we have support people that deal in windows/linux/networking/hardware, python and c#. That said we are a volunteer based community, it is very early days, we have no website as such and we are also there for fun or to talk about the pros and cons of the next best chip or graphics card.

PS It would also be nice to get more oldies on board as a rather cool 49 year old sometimes even I wish there were a few more seniors around to keep my company in my twilight years :)

PPS I to avoid whatsapp and bookface like the plague. Despite persistent requests at work.

More to follow in due course if anyone is interested I will probably be sending invites on a DM basis.

Love <3 Matt

Last edited:
Discord is not a fad today, but when it's gone (as everything similar before it has) it will be.

I don't like re-inventing the wheel, nor do I like installing new software (and certainly no 'apps') on trusted computers.

Discord isn't any rounder, any faster, or any less annoying than past attempts to replace email/forums.

Good luck with 'The IT Crowd' (I like the name!), but you'll find me here when I'm able. :)

fwiw: i just don't like Discord at all. I have tried it but it kind feels like unorganized chaos. I thought even IRC was more transparent at the time.

fwiw: i just don't like Discord at all. I have tried it but it kind feels like unorganized chaos. I thought even IRC was more transparent at the time.
I'm not sure when you last used it based upon your IRC comment, however I find it very slick. I cannot imagine gaming for example without it. I rarely have a pc on without it running in the background. I have friends all over the EU on discord that I have gamed with for up to 20 years in some cases. I can go on there, call them up and we game. Regarding IRC it was great in it's day but it's dying a death imo. I was surprised to hear some people still use it. When I was into the original counterstrike it was massive. I think we had about 130 people in my clans channel at one point.

That said, unfortunately I closed the IT Crowd server, it grew to around 30 people at it's peak, but was not used widely enough to maintain it as a support room. I still run an overwatch based room/team with around 35 people and 7 bots. I decided to concentrate all my efforts in one place.

The IT Crowd was potentially a good idea, however to "get it out there" requires a lot of effort and time that I just don't have. You have to try these things, and this does not reflect on the discord software itself.

Last edited:
Discord? Seriously???

Not sure Discord would be useful for SNB, forums seem to be the best medium for it, however the Discord is seriously more than just 8 year olds and gaming, I don't get the hate lol.... My BlackBox Stocks subscripition for example uses it for alerts/discussions and have seen many other non-gaming uses for it. It's not just some fad.

Last edited:
Not sure Discord would be useful for SNB, forums seem to be the best medium for it, however the Discord is seriously more than just 8 year olds and gaming, I don't get the hate lol.... My BlackBox Stocks subscripition for example uses it for alerts/discussions and have seen many other non-gaming uses for it. It's not just some fad.
Well said that man.

Anyway a update for Aug 22, the IT Crowd server was tried, it didn't really take off for IT support, primarily due to lack of advertising on my part I suspect. We now dropped that server and just run a gaming one, which is thriving.

It is better to try and fail, than to not try at all. In theory I maintain it would be useful; imagine instant support from the brains on this forum. In practice though perhaps "y'all not ready for it. But you will be". (back to the future quote)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!