What's new

Discovering Existing Powerline Networks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ascii2

New Around Here
I wish to check whether a site has powerline communications being used over its normal electrical wiring. I do not have access to all the rooms at the site where powerline adapters might be installed.

How can existing powerline networks be discovered and how can I determine details about them (like what frequencies they are affecting/using)?

are you seeing RF interference on other devices ?

Look up the standards to identify the RF bands used by each. Get an oscilloscope and properly connect to a power lead. if you have never done this, get someone that knows what they are doing. look for pulses of RF traffic that are routine. This assumes that you are close enough on a branch circuit. it is possible you will not see it. You will also see a lot of RF pickup from other sources as well, so it will depend on what else is nearby. Any surge protection will likely filter out the signal.
Best bet would be using a communication analyzer specific to powerline communication.

Any of the vendor config utilities should see them - might not be able to configure (some use custom libs and config files for their specific HW)

HPAV2 should see both HPAV and HPAV2
Old School HomePlug - check around
G.Hn has it's own set of tools, but like above, if one is just looking...

I have been having temporary difficulties; sorry for the delay in replying.

are you seeing RF interference on other devices ?
I have not yet tried connecting any powreline adapters myself.

Best bet would be using a communication analyzer specific to powerline communication.
Would a typical power quality analyzer also have the functionality to determine powerline communication?

Any of the vendor config utilities should see them - might not be able to configure (some use custom libs and config files for their specific HW)

HPAV2 should see both HPAV and HPAV2
Old School HomePlug - check around
G.Hn has it's own set of tools, but like above, if one is just looking...
For this method, it seems that I would need many software tools. Would I also need many different hardware adapters just to see the networks?

power analysers look at 50/60 hz. Communication devices operate well away from that. So - no.

what are you really trying to accomplish ?

For this method, it seems that I would need many software tools. Would I also need many different hardware adapters just to see the networks?
No. He's saying this is really straight forward. Take a powerline adapter and plug it into the wall socket. Then connect your PC to the adapter by Ethernet as you normally would. Finally run the powerline utility that came with the adapter (or even a utility from another manufacturer!). If there are currently any active networks on that circuit they will be detected.

what are you really trying to accomplish ?
I want to ensure that power lines are being used just for (clean) power on sites that have multiple people. I want a way to reliable detect for intentional distortions (like powerline communications), and, hopefully, get an idea of what the distortion. I may set up my own electrical equipment at the particular sites.

No. He's saying this is really straight forward. Take a powerline adapter and plug it into the wall socket. Then connect your PC to the adapter by Ethernet as you normally would. Finally run the powerline utility that came with the adapter (or even a utility from another manufacturer!). If there are currently any active networks on that circuit they will be detected.
OK. I see, it is much simpler then. Thanks.

if you truly need to keep the power clean while monitoring, you will need a recording o'scope or a recording power monitor that can handle the frequencies used by the various powerline standards then.

i take it the sites have isolation transformers at the power point of entry ?
A motor starter or other similar gear downstream with white noise impulses or power relay contacts making can cause high frequency ripples, either directly or imposed (EM) on the power lines.

While I am familiar with electricity, some or much of its psychics, and wiring customs; I do not yet consider it an area of expertise for me. I also do not have much of the more expensive gear (quality anayizers, osiciliscope, etc.). I also am not confident that it is worth the investment in the gear to try to do things entirely myself in this area. I think it wise to consult an electrical engineer of competent electrician.

I may perhaps try the powerline communications manufacturers' utilities in the meantime.

Thanks to all here that have assisted me with this issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!