What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zonkd

Very Senior Member
Questions, answers and insights on the topic of disk formatting and related disk management tasks. A thread started and watched by author of the disk formatting wiki guide.

Learn how ASUS routers can be used to directly repartition and format attached USB disks from the command line. Follow a step-by-step guide or use a simple interactive menu-based script to automatically format disks to ext2, ext3, ext4 filesystem. -- Disk formatting Wiki page

Let me know if you see a mistake in the Wiki and I'll correct it.

The old guide I posted in the other thread is no longer maintained. People often start a new thread for questions asked and answered previously. Frequently because the search bar wasn't used. Sometimes because it was genuinely too difficult. The goal is to save time repeating answers in full. Link to the wiki where possible. Add to it when necessary. Watch this main thread. Fingers crossed making this thread is actually helpful.

Last edited:
Just set up a Asus RT-AC88U with the latest Merlin build and initially put my 8gb USB stick in the FRONT USB3 port (configured in settings as USB2). Formatted as EXT4 with AMTM and set up Swap File, Disc Checker and installed Entware. Router seemed to have issues maintaining connections so after trying several other settings, finally powered it down, removed USB drive and powered back up. Router seems pretty solid now, so I would like to try the thumb drive in rear USB port. Do I have to start over with regards to setting up Swap File, Disc Checker and Enware, or can it be just a matter of editing some files (ie. changing SDxx to SDyy).

Just plug it in and if needed, reboot the router. :)