What's new

Diskstation 214 connected to Asus RT-AC88U running at 100HD(!!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Argel

New Around Here
Posted this at Anantech: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ed-to-asus-rt-ac88u-running-at-100hd.2573670/ but thought I would cross post it here in case there are any known issues with the router or the Merlin version.

Running Merlin 384.13 on the Asus RT-AC88U router and DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4 on the DiskStation.

I tried hardcoding both ports to 1000 Full and the Diskstation drops off the network.

If I use robocfg port 1 media 100FD then the port goes DOWN. I have to set it to auto to get it working, though I never tried hardcoding both to 100 Half to see if that worked. Forcing the disksation to 100 Full (with autoneg off) did work, though I assume it was running with a duplex mismatch, but it did stay on the network vs. when I set the router to 100FD where the port went DOWN.

I tried moving the diskstation to one of the realtek gigabit ports (WAN + 1-4 are on broadcomm switch poers and 5-8 are realtek) on the router which all show up under port 5 and the diskstation will autoneg to 100 half. I did not try forcing it to 1000 full because my dual-wan also uses the realtek ports and robocfg changes apparently affect all 4 ports from what I've read.

On the diskstaion, leaving autoneg on and forcing it to 1000 Full also knocks it off the network. Could it have advertised 1000 Full and the router didn't like it?

Tested with two cat-5e cables (different brands).

I've had this diskstation for several years but not sure if I've ever seen it running over 100 (first router it was conencted to only support 100). I've been having a lot of file transfer issues since switching to the app server based file server on the diskstation recently, so this is the first time I've taken a close look at the networking on both to try and nail down where that problem is.

Wondering if anyone has some ideas on how I could troubleshoot this further?

admin@RT-AC88U-F018:/tmp/home/root# robocfg showports | grep "Port 1"
Port 1: 100HD enabled stp: none vlan: 1 jumbo: on mac: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

root@DiskStation:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: No
Link partner advertised link modes: 100baseT/Half
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: No
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Half
Port: MII
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Link detected: yes

Similar setup. I'm using an AC68P with 384.14 b2 and an older DiskStation DS212j with DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4
The AC68P only have an internal 4 ports, Broadcom switch. I'm using pot 4, but tested port 1 and it works just fine.
Originally I was using the white cable of the first picture to connect the NAS. With that cable I could only get 100 Mbps.
Then I changed the cable for a new 3 feet cat 6 cable and managed to get 1 Gbps.
After you try with a new cable, connect to the NAS using SSH and try this command:
ethtool - s autoneg off speed 1000 duplex full

Then try shutting down the NAS, unplug power, and press power button. This should totally discharge the NAS.
Finally plug, power back and test.
55de4044c8aba9225bdb4f7bf9dc950d.jpg

90d1ce8aba01bddb4bffdb1bbcc7645e.jpg

f6f2604e1c0e56525736d3d0f11fb66e.jpg

4a5260bf6281e9a9c824f88a396538b0.jpg

Another thing to try is to reinstall the NAS software. Just remove the drives and take note of their slot position.
Install another drive and reinstall the DSM from scratch. I red on some post, that a fresh install might solve weird issues on older devices. This might be the results of several upgrades happening over the years. If that solves your problem, you will need a fresh re-install.
Finally, have you check the ethernet port of the NAS for a bend pin, just take a peek with a torch...

Last edited:
This diskstation does have a very long upgrade history (April 2013). The pins look good and I used some canned air to clean the port and surrounding area. The whole unit in the back that everything plugs into seems to wiggle around a bit though.

I think I'll buy a cat6 cable to see if that makes a difference.

I just hooked up the DiskStation to my actiontec router (from the telco, running in RFC bridge mode) with the same results. I also hooked up my graphics workstation with a cat-5e cable and that comes in it 1000 Full as expected. So, sounds like the DiskStation is the issue. I do have a Cat-6 cable on order, so I'll try that next.

Ohh, that does not sound good.
Hope the test is successful

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

No surprise, but no luck with a Cat 6 or Cat 6 crossover cable. Time for a new DiskStation I guess.

I'm sorry mate.
A new NAS, even a latest generation J version, will be faster than your current one.
Good luck with the hunt.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!