What's new

Diversion Diversion not blocking adds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shadowflake

Occasional Visitor
Dear,

I have installed diversion (standard) on my asus rt-ax88u
The pixel server is installed
I have selected the large blocking list.

I disabled AIprotection.
I enabled DNS filtering and selected global filter mode router.
And i have installed the ca.crt on my mobile devices.

And i'm still getting adds on all the mobile devices.
Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong?
[
diversion 001.jpg

merlin wrt diversion 001.jpg

merlin wrt diversion 002.jpg

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Regards

Michel

Last edited:
Did you reboot the router? Is a swap file installed? Did you remove the USB drive from the router that you installed Entware to?

A lot of times the mobile versions of sites host the ads on the same server as the content so there's nothing you can do.

Your desktop computers are ad-free now, right?

If you click the "use desktop version" option on your mobile devices, I'll bet the ads go away.

Did you reboot the router? Is a swap file installed? Did you remove the USB drive from the router that you installed Entware to?

I have reboot the router and a swap file is installed.
Why do i need to remove the USB drive from the router ?

A lot of times the mobile versions of sites host the ads on the same server as the content so there's nothing you can do.

Your desktop computers are ad-free now, right?

If you click the "use desktop version" option on your mobile devices, I'll bet the ads go away.

I have tested this with a pc:
* If i use chrome i have no adds but on the other hand i have installed a plugin in chrome to block adds
* When i use Microsoft edge than i have adds.

So i seems that i doesn't work.

Last edited:
No, I'm not suggesting you remove the Entware + swap file USB drive. I was asking if you did. The drive may be failing on you.

Yesterday i also installed UIdivstats.
The graph is telling me that it blocks some adds.

I don't know why the diversion is also blocking adds in the middle of the night ..... because we where all a sleep.

diversion 003.jpg

SSH into the router -> AMTM -> (1) Diversion -> (f) Follow DNSMasq log -> (3) Blocked Domains.

Then browse around the internet. Go to places like www.sportingnews.com (lots of ads) and see what flows in the logs. You can always add servers to the blacklist if something seems egregious.

SSH into the router -> AMTM -> (1) Diversion -> (f) Follow DNSMasq log -> (3) Blocked Domains.

Then browse around the internet. Go to places like www.sportingnews.com (lots of ads) and see what flows in the logs. You can always add servers to the blacklist if something seems egregious.

I tried this.
So i assume i can make the following assumption.
It does block adds but not everything.

diversion 004.jpg

Another option is SSH into the router, go to directory /opt/var/log and look for dnsmasq.log.
to follow the log, run this command: tail -f dnsmasq.log
to follow diversion blocked log, run this command: tail -f dnsmasq.log | grep diversion

I tried this.
So i assume i can make the following assumption.
It does block adds but not everything.

View attachment 28869
You may also try (2) Unfiltered Log Extra Highlighted. This will show you all queries, basically, and give you an idea of additional things that you might want to add to the Blacklist.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!