What's new

Diversion Diversion not working w/VPN Director/Merlin 3004.388.4/Asus RT-AX88U/Wireguard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daniel LaRusso

Occasional Visitor
I'm running the most current version of Merlin on an Asus RT-AX88U, VPN Director, running TorGuard dedicated IP on Wireguard for streaming purposes. I also have Diversion and Skynet running on the router as well. The problem seems to be that Diversion will not block any ads with the current version of Merlin and VPN Director. I've read the wiki and went through many, many posts trying to find an answer, to no avail. All ads seem to be passing through, especially mobile ads, when I'm on my home network. When the VPN is on, I have most devices such as my Shield Pro, going through the VPN. Other devices such as my NAS, Philips Bridge, and several Raspberry Pis are bypassing the VPN and going through the WAN. I have a fixed IP through my ISP for the WAN. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong or how to get Diversion working would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.26.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.26.28 PM.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.26.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.26.41 PM.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.27.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.27.02 PM.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.27.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.27.28 PM.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.27.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-23 at 1.27.49 PM.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 57
I'm running the most current version of Merlin on an Asus RT-AX88U, VPN Director, running TorGuard dedicated IP on Wireguard for streaming purposes. I also have Diversion and Skynet running on the router as well. The problem seems to be that Diversion will not block any ads with the current version of Merlin and VPN Director. I've read the wiki and went through many, many posts trying to find an answer, to no avail. All ads seem to be passing through, especially mobile ads, when I'm on my home network. When the VPN is on, I have most devices such as my Shield Pro, going through the VPN. Other devices such as my NAS, Philips Bridge, and several Raspberry Pis are bypassing the VPN and going through the WAN. I have a fixed IP through my ISP for the WAN. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong or how to get Diversion working would be appreciated.
Diversion uses routers own dns to filter ads. Current firmware Wireguard implementation will redirect dns to Wireguard dns for select clients that use the tunnel, thus Diversion will not work for those clients (regardless of DnsDirector). If this is not desired behaviour, remove the dns entries in the Wireguard vpn config and it will use the same dns as the rest of your lan.

Assuming you only had issues with Wireguard clients.

Diversion uses routers own dns to filter ads. Current firmware Wireguard implementation will redirect dns to Wireguard dns for select clients that use the tunnel, thus Diversion will not work for those clients (regardless of DnsDirector). If this is not desired behaviour, remove the dns entries in the Wireguard vpn config and it will use the same dns as the rest of your lan.

Assuming you only had issues with Wireguard clients.
Oh, I see. When I was using OVPN and before upgrading to the current version of Merlin, I had all the OVPN clients set to “exclusive,” so that Diversion would work properly with the VPN. So if I’m understanding you correctly, I need to change the WireGuard DNS within the config file, to the router’s DNS? I thought I was already doing that in DNS director, as it’s global redirection was set to “router?”

So if I’m understanding you correctly, I need to change the WireGuard DNS within the config file, to the router’s DNS? I thought I was already doing that in DNS director, as it’s global redirection was set to “router?”
Right or wrong, wg vpn dns takes priority over dns director.
You dont have to touch the config files, just clear the dns field in your wireguard config gui page. Hit apply and restart your wg client.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!