What's new

Diversion Diversion Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Background

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

New to all this! Followed the step by step amtm guide by @L&LD which worked flawless! - Minus using the updated curl url and amtm command (not full path).

I've installed many scripts perfectly - so far ntpMerlin, Diversion, SpdMerlin. However, I've some questions.

1) With Diversion installed does this technically speaking mean i can ditch uBlock Chrome extension or is this still needed along side it?

2) I'm using 1.1.1.1 (CF) as primary and 8.8.8.8 (Google) secondary in the WAN > Internet Connection tab. I noticed on the FAQ for Diversion website it says "Ad-blocking WILL NOT work when your device uses an upstream DNS Server, like Google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4" However, towards the bottom it says I can use them and still benefit from the ad-blocking Diversion offers - which gives? Or am i missing something here? After all it is 3:47 AM!

3) Is there a way I can test I installed and setup Diversion correctly? Any confirmed testing pages i can check?

4) More of a general question but: If my router reboots, or power cut do scripts (like Diversion) start automatically or do i need to manually restart via PuTTY?

Sorry if wrong section, new to all this and only got my router today, couldn't see a general help section?

Cheers,
Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

New to all this! Followed the step by step amtm guide by @L&LD which worked flawless! - Minus using the updated curl url and amtm command (not full path).

I've installed many scripts perfectly - so far ntpMerlin, Diversion, SpdMerlin. However, I've some questions.

1) With Diversion installed does this technically speaking mean i can ditch uBlock Chrome extension or is this still needed along side it?

2) I'm using 1.1.1.1 (CF) as primary and 8.8.8.8 (Google) secondary in the WAN > Internet Connection tab. I noticed on the FAQ for Diversion website it says "Ad-blocking WILL NOT work when your device uses an upstream DNS Server, like Google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4" However, towards the bottom it says I can use them and still benefit from the ad-blocking Diversion offers - which gives? Or am i missing something here? After all it is 3:47 AM!

3) Is there a way I can test I installed and setup Diversion correctly? Any confirmed testing pages i can check?

4) More of a general question but: If my router reboots, or power cut do scripts (like Diversion) start automatically or do i need to manually restart via PuTTY?

Sorry if wrong section, new to all this and only got my router today, couldn't see a general help section?

Cheers,
Happy Holidays!

1) A matter of preference.Try without, if you don’t like, reinstate ublock.

2) This refers to the DNS your device/s is/are using. Point all your devices to the router for dns, router using Diversion, you’re good to go!

3) Go to a normally ad infested page of your choice & see the difference.

4) All automagic. No intervention required.

Any further questions you may come up with, you're at the right place.:)

1) A matter of preference.Try without, if you don’t like, reinstate ublock.

2) This refers to the DNS your device/s is/are using. Point all your devices to the router for dns, router using Diversion, you’re good to go!

3) Go to a normally ad infested page of your choice & see the difference.

4) All automatic. No intervention required.

Any further questions you may come up with, you're at the right place.:)

1) I just tried by disabling uBlock Origin, adverts everywhere all over the web!
EDIT: Seems to be working kinda-now. tested doubleclick.net (blank), adblock-tester.com. Zero ads. However https://canyoublockit.com still fail.

2) Ah, yeah my devices use Cloudflare's one.one.one.one DNS. I've switched them back to default "Obtain DNS server address automatically" - this good?

3) Ads, ads, ads! Seems it's not working or I messed up somewhere.. :(
EDIT: Seems to be working kinda-now. tested doubleclick.net (blank), adblock-tester.com. Zero ads. However https://canyoublockit.com still fail.

Side note: uiDivStats is empty.

4) Beautiful! Thanks.

Last edited:
1) I just tried by disabling uBlock Origin, adverts everywhere all over the web!

2) Ah, yeah my devices use Cloudflare's one.one.one.one DNS. I've switched them back to default "Obtain DNS server address automatically" - this good?

3) Ads, ads, ads! Seems it's not working or I messed up somewhere.. :(

Side note: uiDivStats is empty.

4) Beautiful! Thanks.

1) IMHO, instead of ad testing sites, try sites you would normally use. You only have to please yourself, no one else.:p

2) On client device/s, yes.

3) uiDivstats in my experience takes a day or two to be having enough info to work with.

Another thing, you might set LAN > DNSFilter to ‘On’ & ‘Router’, with the custom dns fields below that, blank.

Have fun, you will succeed in your quest!

1) Use uBlock on top of Diversion. Diversion will keep most ads out of the network, but uBlock will clean up web pages and also eliminate Youtube ads, which Diversion is really challenged with.
2) All devices should get their DNS from the router.
3) sportingnews.com is full of ads. If you haven't already been there, this is a good test.
4) As already mentioned above, automatic.

1) Use uBlock on top of Diversion. Diversion will keep most ads out of the network, but uBlock will clean up web pages and also eliminate Youtube ads, which Diversion is really challenged with.
2) All devices should get their DNS from the router.
3) sportingnews.com is full of ads. If you haven't already been there, this is a good test.
4) As already mentioned above, automatic.

Thanks also! Yeah i re-enabled uBlock on the side as i noticed although Diversion was blocking most ads (seemed best with text-style) not so good with popups, it was leaving empty sections where as you said uBlock kinda cleans it up and removes that whole empty white section allowing page content to move up.

Thanks for the help both of you! Wish i did this sooner (I've had the router 3 yrs in storage LOL). Already noticed less ads in-apps on iOS.

One last question (should i make a new thread?)

When port forwarding my Synology for example custom HTTPS port i meant to be doing the external port or internal port columns?

My ISP router (VM Fibre) only had one column so can't check if that's external or internal. It's for setting up my own domain for my NAS over HTTPS.

I noticed internal only allows one single port, external allows multiple with a comma, so if it's internal I've to do multiple entries one port per? Cheers again.

Update: uiDivStats is now fine, 718 blocked, 2.76% of total 26051.

Are you trying to make your NAS accessable over the internet?

Rather than doing all that, keep it "LAN-only," and set up an OpenVPN server on the router, then put the OpenVPN Client on whatever devices you want to have access.

Set the ISP Modem to "Bridge" mode so that the Asus is doing all that work.

Are you trying to make your NAS accessable over the internet?

Rather than doing all that, keep it "LAN-only," and set up an OpenVPN server on the router, then put the OpenVPN Client on whatever devices you want to have access.

Set the ISP Modem to "Bridge" mode so that the Asus is doing all that work.

Hi!

I wish to access the NAS at home but like over 4G/Data not so fussed about that as i mainly just do backups of PCs/Laptops. Don't view my NAS on the go/travelling, really.

Normally use a custom domain though instead of an ugly IP:pORT. But this stopped working when I switched over - so assumed it was ports related but the internal/external confused me, ha.

I'll look into some OpenVPN threads now.

Not had any luck with trying to work out how to do OpenVPN the best way?

I can access my Synology NAS via https://mydomain.com:XXXXX but not https://mydomain.com - Before ASUS router I can access it without the port. This normal?

I only access my NAS at home, never outside of my internet (like over mobile data or what not). Tried looking into reverse proxy so i can start using it outside network but couldn't find a guide and as a noob and never used SSH i don't wanna risk breaking stuff, I've a 3 year ExpressVPN if that helps, ha.

Not 100% sure I'm following your question. If you have an OpenVPN server set up on your router... VPN > VPN Server

Server 1
Enable [ On ]
Details [ General ]
Client will use VPN to access [ Both ]
Uername / Passwords - [ Set up yourself ]
----
Details [ Advanced Settings ]
Interface Type [ TUN ]
Protocol [ UDP ]
Port [ You pick it ]
Authorization Mode [ TLS ]
Username / Password Auth [ Yes ]
Username / Password Auth Only [ No ]
TLS Control Channel Security [ Encrypt Channel ]
HMAC Authentication [ Default ]
VPN Subnet / Mask [ Whatever you want ]
Advertise DNS to clients [ Yes ]
Cipher Negotiation [ Enable with fallback ]
Negotiable Ciphers [ AES-128-GCM:AES-256-GCM:AES-128-CBC:AES-256-CBC ]
Legacy / Fallback cipher: AES-256-CBC ]
Compression [ Disable ]
Log verbosity [ 3 ]
Manage Client-specific options [ No ]
----------------------------------------

Back to General: [ Export OpenVPN Configuration File ]

Save the .ovpn and put it on your mobile devices. Then open that .ovpn in the OpenVPN app when away from your LAN and login with your username/password.

To access your shared devices, go to their usual IP. So if your Synology is 192.168.1.240, then you can access it at that same IP (regardless of your VPN Subnet/Mask setup in Advanced.)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!