What's new

Diversion Diversion - the Router Ad-Blocker v4.2.x (see new thread for 4.3.x)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Now there is a "basic" and "full" oisd.nl list in six different categories.
Which one is Diversion using when choosing the "large" list?

For some reason, I am not able to use Large block list i.e. hosts.oisd.nl. Did a monitor of dnsmasq.log when switching to Large block list and it seems to stop processing DNS request after the list update is completed
Code:
Mar 14 18:21:47 dnsmasq[32569]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Mar 14 18:21:47 dnsmasq[32569]: forwarded dns.msftncsi.com to 127.0.1.1
Mar 14 18:21:47 dnsmasq[32569]: query[AAAA] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Mar 14 18:21:47 dnsmasq[32569]: cached dns.msftncsi.com is fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1
Mar 14 18:21:47 dnsmasq[32569]: validation result is INSECURE
Mar 14 18:21:47 dnsmasq[32569]: reply dns.msftncsi.com is 131.107.255.255
Mar 14 18:21:51 dnsmasq[32569]: read //etc//hosts - 42 addresses

If I were to switch to another list e.g. Medium, processing of the DNS request resumes after the the list update is completed
Code:
Mar 14 18:32:44 dnsmasq[8813]: read //etc//hosts - 42 addresses                                                                                                            
Mar 14 18:32:44 dnsmasq[8813]: using nameserver 127.0.1.1#53                                                                                                              
Mar 14 18:32:44 dnsmasq[8813]: using only locally-known addresses for domain lan.kylim.net                                                                                
Mar 14 18:32:55 dnsmasq[8813]: query[NS] . from 192.168.1.13                                                                                                              
Mar 14 18:32:55 dnsmasq[8813]: forwarded . to 127.0.1.1                                                                                                                  
Mar 14 18:33:04 dnsmasq[8813]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1                                                                                                  
Mar 14 18:33:04 dnsmasq[8813]: forwarded dns.msftncsi.com to 127.0.1.1

Any suggestion on how to further troubleshoot or what could be the cause?
Not running any 3rd-party resolver e.g. Unbound; only using the built-in Stubby resolver with DoT that comes with Merlin FW
TIA
I ‘think’ the Oisd list has massively increased in size recently. (By some 400,000 entries?)
I could be wrong & maybe the problem lies elsewhere.
So what may have been handled ok by the router previously, is now too much?

Maybe @thelonelycoder should consider changing OISD full to OISD basic which should prove to be comprehensive enough for most users.

Only offer the full list as an extended option.

I had removed diversion thinking of reloading it, having issues with DNS ad blockers. Adguard is in beta, Nextdns is flaky beyond a joke.

Thoughts please? Thanks.

I had removed diversion thinking of reloading it, having issues with DNS ad blockers. Adguard is in beta, Nextdns is flaky beyond a joke.

Thoughts please? Thanks.
I was using pihole, but recently install diversion the other day. So far working very well! Seems to be working the same with less overheard and less to manage from my limited experience so far. And with the shortcuts extension on iOS makes it easy to use also. And easy enough to exclude any device from blocking, just requires a simple setup.

Thank you, I am trying Adguard Home on the router. See how it goes. I prefer the web ui.

Despite there being pihole and adguardhome alternatives, every time I access diversion I am in awe at the amazing capabilities it brings to our limited yet small routers. It speaks volumes to the capabilities of @thelonelycoder to leverage this unique awesomeness with his astonishing coding abilities. When I test adblockers, I always use Diversion as the preferred Asuswrt-Merlin standard, everything else is second to me.

Despite there being pihole and adguardhome alternatives, every time I access diversion I am in awe at the amazing capabilities it brings to our limited yet small routers. It speaks volumes to the capabilities of @thelonelycoder to leverage this unique awesomeness with his astonishing coding abilities. When I test adblockers, I always use Diversion as the preferred Asuswrt-Merlin standard, everything else is second to me.
Agree I am liking it better then running a separate pihole

This might interest at least someone. Optimized oisd.nl lists.

GitHub - cbuijs/oisd: Optimized version of OISD BlockLists

The dilemma I had was the full list was just what I needed, but unfortunately took up too much memory on the old RT-AC86U. It was fine on its own, but if I enabled something like AiProtection or IPv6, my swapfile usage would just go crazy (not great for the life of the flash drive I have plugged in). The optimized version reduces the amount of blocks and size to roughly a third of the vanilla full list. It does some tricks which may eventually lead to a false positive or two in theory, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

I already tried the Developer Dan's list posted above but I had to whitelist various domains right out of the box. Otherwise that would have been perfect.

This might interest at least someone. Optimized oisd.nl lists.

GitHub - cbuijs/oisd: Optimized version of OISD BlockLists

The dilemma I had was the full list was just what I needed, but unfortunately took up too much memory on the old RT-AC86U. It was fine on its own, but if I enabled something like AiProtection or IPv6, my swapfile usage would just go crazy (not great for the life of the flash drive I have plugged in). The optimized version reduces the amount of blocks and size to roughly a third of the vanilla full list. It does some tricks which may eventually lead to a false positive or two in theory, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

I already tried the Developer Dan's list posted above but I had to whitelist various domains right out of the box. Otherwise that would have been perfect.
You should try it with AdGuardHome.

I'm getting ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED using Diversion and Chrome on Windows. Seems to be intermittent and then DNS resolves itself after a minute or so.

What logs could I check to see why this is happening bet it windows logs or router logs. I have Quad9 sets as my upstream DNS server like listed on the FAQ aswell as both fields DNS Server 1 and DNS Server 2 are empty in LAN/DHCP Server.

I've tried all the usual flush dns and winsock reset to no luck.

I am new user of Diversion, and not able to update the Block list type, any suggestions how to do it?
Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-04 000920.png

Something for everyone here:

Even bigger list of something for everyone, in more formats than you can 'shake a stick at' !!! :)

filterlists.com

Question for thelonelycoder:

Currently the format of the wc_blacklist in diversion is simply <domain> .... i.e. bbc.co.uk

Would it be possible to accept files in the <*.bbc.co.uk> format which is a common format for wildcard domains.

Diversion would simply have to strip off the leading <*.> .

This would enable existing wildcard format files to be used directly without any 'File mangling' :)

[I know that I can 'filter' the file myself but it would enable the url to be used directly within Diversion ]

Example space saving if using wildcard filterlists:

[Full text version] oisd_hosts_full.txt = 40.3 MB

[Wildcard version] oisd_dblw_full.txt = 11.4 MB

Even bigger list of something for everyone, in more formats than you can 'shake a stick at' !!! :)

filterlists.com

Question for thelonelycoder:

Currently the format of the wc_blacklist in diversion is simply <domain> .... i.e. bbc.co.uk

Would it be possible to accept files in the <*.bbc.co.uk> format which is a common format for wildcard domains.

Diversion would simply have to strip off the leading <*.> .

This would enable existing wildcard format files to be used directly without any 'File mangling' :)

[I know that I can 'filter' the file myself but it would enable the url to be used directly within Diversion ]

Example space saving if using wildcard filterlists:

[Full text version] oisd_hosts_full.txt = 40.3 MB

[Wildcard version] oisd_dblw_full.txt = 11.4 MB
‘Filterlists’ is the mother lode for sure!

Interesting idea re wildcard entries.:)

While I see and like your arguement for this,

oisd_dblw_full.tx= more false positive potential, but smaller size list.
oisd_hosts_full.txt= albiet much bigger, means blocking everything directly.

A fair compromise-

I can live with the risk of more 'false positives' as the exceptions can be quite easily handled.

The main plus for me was the memory saving as this gives me more room to play with.
I am an inveterate tinkerer and keep changing configurations, filterlists etc etc :)

The change to the format accepted by wc_blacklist would enable direct usage of urls and Diversion would do all the 'grunt work' automagically !!!

I can live with the risk of more 'false positives' as the exceptions can be quite easily handled.

The main plus for me was the memory saving as this gives me more room to play with.
I am an inveterate tinkerer and keep changing configurations, filterlists etc etc :)

The change to the format accepted by wc_blacklist would enable direct usage of urls and Diversion would do all the 'grunt work' automagically !!!
while I get your point, one issue present is Diversion has a limited allowed whitelisting, 1000 domains. In my case of using wildcards and filters, my whitelist extends to 50,000 domains easy. While you may find it rectifiable in your current state of setup, I find it hard to believe every user will fall in this bracket. That is why I strongly suggest against such.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!