What's new

Diversion Diversion - the Router Ad-Blocker v4.2.x (see new thread for 4.3.x)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ok got it,b,1,2. What does fs do and how to find which list is in use? I see 2 there now and what does enable list mean?

fs allows to have two blocking file types enabled. One can be a large, the other a smaller type. The fs command switches the active type over to the inactive and vice versa. It was/is called wife mode by some...

Did you find your way back into the fold because of the DD-WRT mess?
Exactly. It's really hard to follow their release cycle and find a version that all the main features work as intended. With every minor release, something gets broken here and there. On top of that, BrainSlayer and kernel-panic's rants made me remember how SNBforums is a great, welcoming community that feels like home to be honest.

And from a technical point, what made me switch to DD-WRT back then was the availability of CAKE QoS. Now that the CAKE is included in Asuswrt-Merlin, I don't see myself going back to DD-WRT.

On
That page is ad free for me. Diversion is as always, just doing the business!:cool:
Are you on a mobile device or desktop/laptop? ad free on a mobile device but I can see an ad on laptop.

What browser are you using? What settings have you changed past defaults on the browser and the OS in general?

What browser are you using? What settings have you changed past defaults on the browser and the OS in general?
Chrome with default settings, haven't changed anything.

Chrome is the issue then? Can you try other browsers, at least to test with? MS Edge Version 94.0.992.47 (Official build) (64-bit) working here.

Chrome is the issue then? Can you try other browsers, at least to test with? MS Edge Version 94.0.992.47 (Official build) (64-bit) working here.
Same with Edge and my version is same as yours. When I inspect the page, this is ad image url and then it redirects to the ad if you click on by opening another tab but then other tab fails to load but I can still see the ad on the main page, surprised no one else can as this url isn't blocked by Diversion list.

On

Are you on a mobile device or desktop/laptop? ad free on a mobile device but I can see an ad on laptop.

Hmmm.

Ethernet (Mac), yes, I’m seeing an ad, refresh page, see a different ad.
Nothing on wireless ‘idevices’ though.
Interesting……

Thanks, just wondering why all ads are not getting blocked on this page? I can see an ad on the right.
Ad showing
You can use diversion -> f (follow dnsmasq.log), choose 4 (Blocked domains, by device IP), enter your pc ip address then access the site from your pc. This is what I get from accessing your provided url.

Code:
10:16:19 blocked by blockinglist js-agent.newrelic.com
10:16:19 blocked by blockinglist www.clarity.ms
10:16:19 blocked by blockinglist snap.licdn.com
10:16:19 blocked by blockinglist static.cloudflareinsights.com

You can also use b (blocking list), 5 (Find domain in hosts file) and manually check if these domains are in your blocking lists. For example:
Code:
  i  This finds in which hosts file(s)
     a domain is blocked.

Enter domain  [e=Exit] static.cloudflareinsights.com

static.cloudflareinsights.com
was found in the following list(s):

raw.githubusercontent.com-StevenBlack-hosts-master-hosts

!  Press Enter to return to menu

You can use diversion -> f (follow dnsmasq.log), choose 4 (Blocked domains, by device IP), enter your pc ip address then access the site from your pc. This is what I get from accessing your provided url.

Code:
10:16:19 blocked by blockinglist js-agent.newrelic.com
10:16:19 blocked by blockinglist www.clarity.ms
10:16:19 blocked by blockinglist snap.licdn.com
10:16:19 blocked by blockinglist static.cloudflareinsights.com

You can also use b (blocking list), 5 (Find domain in hosts file) and manually check if these domains are in your blocking lists. For example:
Code:
  i  This finds in which hosts file(s)
     a domain is blocked.

Enter domain  [e=Exit] static.cloudflareinsights.com

static.cloudflareinsights.com
was found in the following list(s):

raw.githubusercontent.com-StevenBlack-hosts-master-hosts

!  Press Enter to return to menu
@chongnt Thanks. Do you see the ad? @Treadler sees it too, I'm glad I'm not the only one

@chongnt Thanks. Do you see the ad? @Treadler sees it too, I'm glad I'm not the only one
I don't see ads in the page. But I can open the other link you posted with washing machine drum photo from dns.geekzone.co.nz. This does not show on the forum page.+
This is strange. I connect my pc to my mobile data, this bypassed diversion and yet I still don't see ads on the page. I can see ads in other sites.

Last edited:
But wait, on ‘idevices’ the ads are actually there, masquerading as forum posts, labelled “affiliate link”.
No big horrible graphics though……

Like so……

Lenovo

Affiliate link

“Affiliate link” is where a forum poster’s name would normally be.

(when I save the little graphic, SNB crosses it out)
Ok, now I see it. Very well hidden.

Edit: I found that when I connected to my local ISP there is no ads. This happen to both my fixed line or mobile internet. I think this is the reason why I failed to see ads in this page earlier. I only see ads when I use VPN to other country like US. If I use VPN to my own country, I get access denied message:

Connection not available

Access denied​

This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks.

Some random test I try HongKong VPN the page is loaded and there is no ads. It appears to be geo targeting ads.

Last edited:
Hi sorry if this isn't the correct thread for queries, please direct me elsewhere if needed.

I'm thinking about moving from a RPi Pi-Hole to Diversion as I've just bought a AC86U to use with my new FTTP connection instead of the supplied junk.

I don't have much experience in this area although I've read through the recommended step by step guide here:

and the Diversion install page here:

My questions are:

1. If the new merlin firmwares already contain amtm, is this install script required?

curl -Os https://raw.githubusercontent.com/decoderman/amtm/master/amtm && sh amtm

If not - then what is the SSH command to launch amtm - is it still /jffs/scripts/amtm or just amtm?

2. Once installed, do any other Asus router settings need configuring or does it just work? eg
Advertise routers IP in addition to user-name specified DNS set to no?
The WAN/LAN DNS addresses?
Alternative upstream DNS like OpenDNS (this is in the FAQ: Ad-blocking WILL NOT work when your device uses an upstream DNS Server, like Google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, although this seems to be contradicted in 'How to use an upstream DNS Server like 8.8.8.8 from Google' in the FAQ - does this refer to the client and not the router?)

3. Do certificates for pixelserv-tls need to be installed on every client? I don't really understand what pixelserv-tls is or whether it's necessary since it doesn't seem to be installed as part of the lite version ( I do now (Diversion FAQ)!)

My Pi-Hole has worked very well over the last few years but It would be great for this to all be done on the router - just a little unclear of what I need to do router and client side (if anything) once it's installed.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
1. If the new merlin firmwares already contain amtm, is this install script required?
Most of your questions are answered on my website that is the home of amtm and Diversion - I am its coder.

In short: amtm comes with all recent Asuswrt-Merlin firmwares, including its (official) forks.
To start using amtm enter amtm into an SSH terminal. The rest is self explanatory.

2. Once installed, do any other Asus router settings need configuring or does it just work? eg
Advertise routers IP in addition to user-name specified DNS set to no?
The WAN/LAN DNS addresses?
Alternative upstream DNS like OpenDNS (this is in the FAQ: Ad-blocking WILL NOT work when your device uses an upstream DNS Server, like Google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, although this seems to be contradicted in 'How to use an upstream DNS Server like 8.8.8.8 from Google' in the FAQ - does this refer to the client and not the router?)
Theoretically everything should work out of the box. Just make sure your devices are set to your routers IP address and nothing else. Not Google, not any other service that third party on the WAN side provide.
3. Do certificates for pixelserv-tls need to be installed on every client? I don't really understand what pixelserv-tls is or whether it's necessary since it doesn't seem to be installed as part of the lite version ( I do now (Diversion FAQ)!)
Yes, the auto-generated cert by Diversion will need to be imported in all devices. You will get a prompt once Diversion is installed.
My Pi-Hole has worked very well over the last few years but It would be great for this to all be done on the router - just a little unclear of what I need to do router and client side (if anything) once it's installed.
You'll be happy with Diversion, I'm sure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!