What's new

Diversion Diversion - the Router Ad-Blocker v4.2.x (see new thread for 4.3.x)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

as usual, i have this setup with various scripts - yet another simplification thanks to Diversion. thanks for making my router easier to manage! :)
Would you mind sharing your script (so I can use this setup).... while Diversion gets the new update.
Thanks...

Would you mind sharing your script (so I can use this setup).... while Diversion gets the new update.
Thanks...
I‘m about 65% done with the function…

Edit: Done. Diversion 4.2.1 is now available.

Last edited:
Diversion 4.2.1 is now available

What's new in Diversion 4.2.1
- Adds option to exclude devices from ad-blocking in b, 10

See documentation on the Diversion website for details on this feature.

How to update to this latest version
Use the WebUI update function or enter u into the Diversion SSH interface.

Diversion 4.2.1 is now available

What's new in Diversion 4.2.1
- Adds option to exclude devices from ad-blocking in b, 10

See documentation on the Diversion website for details on this feature.

How to update to this latest version
Use the WebUI update function or enter u into the Diversion SSH interface.
sorry to report a slight bug in the arp parsing
Code:
 !  arp info for 10.14.16.10:

? (10.14.16.102) at <incomplete>  on br0
? (10.14.16.108) at <incomplete>  on br0
? (10.14.16.109) at <incomplete>  on br0

Code:

I cannot reproduce that. Where does it come from?

Dummy me, got it ;)
How would I add that info?

I cannot reproduce that. Where does it come from?
i (accidentally) typed in the IP address of a client on my network as the "excluded blocking IP address", and it printed netstat and arp info for the IP I'd entered. It looks like the grep probably needs to look for a ) after the input IP to prevent matching other devices, e.g. .10 was matching .10X

Code:

Interesting that the pixelserv-tls IP is not listed but the separate Dnsmasq instance.

i (accidentally) typed in the IP address of a client on my network as the "excluded blocking IP address", and it printed netstat and arp info for the IP I'd entered. It looks like the grep probably needs to look for a ) after the input IP to prevent matching other devices, e.g. .10 was matching .10X
That makes sense. Your fault ;):(

Having trouble getting the youtube blocking to work. Using Diversion 4.2.1 on an AC68U (firmware 386.1)
I get this:
/opt/bin/dig: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Followed by "Youtube IP is not valid"

I did a force update uu and a reset of the dnsmasq.log and watched a few ads as recommended. Any further ideas? Diversion says to post here with errors encountered, so hopefully I'm in the right thread.

Last edited:
Having trouble getting the youtube blocking to work. Using Diversion 4.2.1 on an AC68U (firmware 386.1)
I get this:
/opt/bin/dig: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Followed by "Youtube IP is not valid"

I did a force update uu and a reset of the dnsmasq.log and watched a few ads as recommended. Any further ideas? Diversion says to post here with errors encountered, so hopefully I'm in the right thread.

Seems that you're missing libopenssl , try installing the package, i.e.
Code:
opkg install libopenssl

General consensus is that youtube blocking doesn't work.

Seems that you're missing libopenssl , try installing the package, i.e.
Code:
opkg install libopenssl

General consensus is that youtube blocking doesn't work.
Off topic but AFAIK all the youtube blocking is based on the same idea(s)
I am using the youtube blocking in 'unbound' and it does work !!!

I can see the advert 'flash up' to start, (Static picture/placeholder ???), then it is immediately skipped and youtube continues playing !!!

Off topic but AFAIK all the youtube blocking is based on the same idea(s)
I am using the youtube blocking in 'unbound' and it does work !!!

I can see the advert 'flash up' to start, (Static picture/placeholder ???), then it is immediately skipped and youtube continues playing !!!
What sort of device are you using to view youtube? Diversion youtube ad blocking doesn't work for me on chromecast devices and a Samsung smart TV.

What sort of device are you using to view youtube? Diversion youtube ad blocking doesn't work for me on chromecast devices and a Samsung smart TV.
I do not have a 'Smart TV', but it works on PC's (various) and smartphones (various) and FireTV stick.
I had a chromecast (old v1) which did work but it failed and was replace with the FireTV stick.

Worth trying again and making sure that old/previous setting are not picked up & DNS caches are flushed on the router and all none working devices.

Note that AFAIK chromecast will try to use 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 DNS which will work around your Diversion setup.
You need to block the 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 addresses or redirect them to your DNS address.
(for example process see https://techwiser.com/bypass-chromecast-dns/ )

I am guessing that your 'Smart TV' may default to using 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as well.
Do not know if you can change the DNS setting on the 'Smart TV' but if you 'Block 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4' it may work by using whatever DNS it can find !!!

The YouTube blocking is working fine here. (SmartTV, etc.) It takes a while to learn what to block, but over time there are less and less ads. Often there's zero in videos from channels that I visit regularly.

Generally Google apps will try to bypass DNS based blocking by sending requests straight to Google. Those are much more tricky.

So I have tried the exclude client thing, i have set up instance on the ip 192.168.50.3 and that set that for the client in DHCP, not in DNS filter, and i verified that dns server client is using is indeed 192.168.50.3 but url filter i have setup in router's firewall rules are not applied.

I guess I misunderstood how exactly exclusion instance works.

BTW this https://diversion.ch/about-license.html still links to the old thread

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I recently installed Diversion on my AX86U and have been encountering an intermittent issue, cannot connect to playstation network on my ps5.

First time I installed diversion, I got this issue. So I reset my router to factory defaults and reinstalled diversion, this time access to PSN is now working. After a few days, I rebooted my router and got the error again.

I also tried setting up the exclude device in diversion to exclude the ps5, still not working.

Is anyone familiar with this issue or have an idea what I may have missed?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!