What's new

Diversion Diversion was blocking Hulu ads regularly for about a week or two - Now it stopped

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jorgsmash

Has anybody else had any luck blocking hulu ads? I noticed a few weeks ago that the annoying 90 second hulu ads all stopped. Hulu would show a black screen for about a second and then the show would resume. Following the DNSmasq log in Diversion showed that, sure enough, Diversion was blocking Hulu ad domains. It was GREAT! Sometimes an occasional 15 second Verizon ad would come through, but that was mostly it. Now, however, it has stopped working all together. 90 second ads are playing every 5 minutes.

Has anybody else experienced Diversion blocking hulu ads? I know in the past they said it wasn't possible because hulu serves ads from the same domains the movies and shows come from. So did hulu change something for a few weeks? Maybe testing something out? Because the ads were definitely being blocked and I saw hulu ad domains in the diversion log.

Thanks all!

This is an endless cat and mouse game. Doesn't surprise me you're going to see this capability go through periods of success and failure. Hulu, like the rest of the content providers, is fully aware of the tactics being employed around the 'net to avoid the ads, and is actively attempting to thwart them.

This is an endless cat and mouse game. Doesn't surprise me you're going to see this capability go through periods of success and failure. Hulu, like the rest of the content providers, is fully aware of the tactics being employed around the 'net to avoid the ads, and is actively attempting to thwart them.
Yeah I know that. It was years ago I read that blocking ads on hulu wasn't possible because they serve the ads from the same domain as the main content. So why all of a sudden the change to where ads were being served from different domains and they were being blocked effectively. Seems like a step backwards. Thanks for the reply though.

It's not a step backwards for Hulu. Hulu has a cheap price tier with ads for a reason to show ads and pump up the volume with those ads. If you want ad free pay for it. As stated Hulu is very well aware what some are doing and has taken measures to stop it.

It's not a step backwards for Hulu. Hulu has a cheap price tier with ads for a reason to show ads and pump up the volume with those ads. If you want ad free pay for it. As stated Hulu is very well aware what some are doing and has taken measures to stop it.
I wasn't talking about them showing ads being a step back. I was saying, it seemed like a step back that they started serving ads from different domains than the actual content, which allowed diversion to work the way it was designed. Like I said, for about a week or two, I saw no hulu ads. That indicates that for whatever reason, they were not being served from the same domain as the main hulu content. That is what I was saying seemed like a step back.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!