What's new

DIY NAS build - htpc case

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zer0sum

New Around Here
Looking at building a NAS for home use and thought I would go DIY as the prices for the decent NAS devices like Qnap just seem excessive for what you get.

All Aussie prices...

SilverStone LC17 BLACK ATX Desktop Case - $130.00
Corsair 2GB (2x 1GB Kit) Value Select PC-5300 (667MHz) - $62.00
Seagate SATAII NCQ 1TB 7200RPM 32mb Cache - 5 x $94.00 = $470.00
Gigabyte Superb Power Supply 460W - $48.00
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e AM2 45w Energy Efficient CPU - $79.00
4 Pin Power to 2XSATA Cable - $5.00
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H DDR2 1200oc int.VGA DVI/HDMI SATA II RAID mATX - $96.50

Total - $890.50
Total without disks - $420.50

Will probably run freenas off a usb drive, CF to IDE adapter or any number of old IDE drives I have around.
Although I am tempted to go with a full blown windows or linux server OS.
4gb ram would probably be a better option if I went down that path.

AMD 5050e was chosen as it is highly efficient
PSU is just a cheap and supposedly quiet unit, but I would love to hear some suggestions re. better ones.

Case is HTPC so is semi-hidden amongst the stereo gear.
I could use it for HTPC but already have a PS3 so that is mostly taken care of.
It has 2 external 5.25" drive bays and 6 internal 3.5" drive bays so it will fit 5 x 1TB disks easily enough.

Gigabyte mobo supports 5 x sata II in raid 0, 1, 5, 10, or JBOD.
It also has Gbit lan, VGA, and E-sata etc. as well as PCIExpress slots for video card for HTPC or Raid card.
I could also add a real RAID card for improved performance if the onboard one doesn't cut it.

I would have to put some effort into making it run quietly but this should be easy enough with some fan replacement, control and better cooling.

I am also considering a D-link DNS-323 with loads of hacks as it is only $280 and runs linux and is very easy to modify.
Only 2 disks and the performance won't be huge but perhaps 2 x 2tb drives is enough for home use.
Can't get freenas running on these as they are an arm processor but there is a strong community following.

Another NAS of interest is the Intel SS4200E as it comes bare for $280-300 and supports 4 disks raid 5 and you can get freenas running on it but it takes a little more work.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Last edited:
Gigabyte mobo supports 5 x sata II in raid 0, 1, 5, 10, or JBOD.

Very nice config, but do keep in mind that most onboard raid (intel software raid ich?r) support max 4 drives per array that you create, even if the mobo has 5 or 6 sata ports. You might consider to buy a cheaper mobo without onboard raid and run linux raid instead, most likely it will also be faster.