What's new

DIY NAS for the first time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sliver

New Around Here
Hi there,

i want to build my first nas, i looked here some threads but i have some questions:

What is the best OS on the nas??? Windows Server, Freenas, Ubuntu
Can i use the selfmade nas as an uono mediaserver for the ps3???
And is a selfmade nas much faster than my qnap TS 109 II?? ( read 43MB/sec, write 22MB/sec )

I looked also for the hardware:

1x Chenbro Mini-ITX ES30068 Server Case
2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
1x Intel Celeron E1500 2,2 GHz
1x Corsair Valueselect DIMM Kit 2GB PC2-5300U CL5 2x1GB
1x Intel Media Series DG45FC

I want to use it to share thing ( should be 80MB/sec read and 60MB/sec write) and as a media server for the ps3

Do i need any other things???

Thanks in advance

I want to use it to share thing ( should be 80MB/sec read and 60MB/sec write) and as a media server for the ps3
I dont think you can get those kind of speeds from Windows Home Server or Freenas, but you should be able to on Ubuntu 8.04 server edition and you almost certainly can on Windows Server 2008.

The QNAP 109 is not the speediest so a decent DIY NAS will certainly outperform it. If it cant get a DIY to perform better than that, you shouldnt bother with the hassle.

It really is tough to say what the best OS is for an NAS because it really depends on what you want to use it for. From a performance point of view I will say that so far I have found Windows to work best with Windows when using a single drive or a simple RAID 0 array. At least on my hardware. I have tested FreeNAS, Ubuntu Server, Openfiler, EON, Opensolaris, Windows 2000, and Win XP PRO on my server. From what I recall Ubuntu would be second and a close third would be FreeNAS. Again on my hardware. I can give you some numbers and specs of my hardware if you are interested.

Fairly sure any Windows version or Ubuntu could be setup as a media server for a PS3.

A DIY NAS can easily surpass your QNAP 109. The hardware you mentioned combined with a fast Vista/Win 7 client should easily get you the performance you want.

00Roush

@00Roush

thanks for your answer, my client is mac os so i dont know if windows would be the best server and i want to use it only for file sharing, maybe, if it works, as a media server.