What's new

DIY POE Camera & Storage or buy prebuilt package?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KenZ71

I am considering setting up some POE Cameras around the exterior of the home to keep an eye on things when out of town. Should I renew my geek status and build my own or just buy an package deal of cameras & storage appliance?

Already have a decent Unifi network with spare POE capacity and a NAS with a few TB of storage available. Also I am not wild about putting my stuff on a cloud so the DIY route is preffered. I would most likely port forward the camera feeds like my Jellyfin or maybe find a way to feed the cameras through Jellyfin - that would be cool!

Like my APs I prefer POE so they can all be powered by a UPS in case of a utility outage.

Having said above any comments or suggestions for hardware? Would not mind a couple of the cameras also having a flood light for some of the dark doorways / over garage door. That would get bonus points with the missus <-- always a good idea!!

A DIY would likely be more flexible. Although, for the storage I'd go with a prebuilt option. What brand NAS do you have? Some, such as QNAP, have prebuilt camera / surveillance apps although the number of cameras may be limited unless you upgrade the licensing.

Last edited:
I've had a Proxmox VM Host & NAS for a few years.

Last night setup Zoneminder as a VM to manage the cameras & their data.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!