1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

DIY router - anyone using a MinnowBoard Turbot or other SBC suggestions

Discussion in 'Routers' started by db9, Apr 20, 2018.

1. db9

db9 Occasional Visitor

I see that this topic comes up periodically... Just wondering if recommendations have changed..

As a learning project I'm thinking of a DIY Router - I'm not afraid of tinkering.
    I currently run an older Asus router with Merlin loaded (no VPN) and since replacing this unit is in the not to distant future I thought about a DIY project.
    Ultimately I'll want something that is somewhat future proof and will run VPN at a good clip. I had thought of loading pfSense but would try loading other packages as well.
    I had thought of using the turbot as the hardware base as the CPU and dual ports looked like a good starting point.. any other SBC suggestions?

Thanks