What's new

DIY Silent NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adeiko

New Around Here
I've been thinking in doing small silent NAS using like a home server.

Until now i've been working with small already packed NAS like Synology ones, and i thought it was time to make a DIY one without so much noise and more customizable.

Box:

HFX PowerNas Enclosure (http://goo.gl/N5Z4X)

1 internal 2.5 system bay, 5 bays hotswap 5.25 HDD
2 fans (only work when high temperature, so most of the time are quiet),
Dimensions: 20cm (h) x 24cm (w) x 24cm (d)

Power Supply:

EF15 external fanless PSU (http://goo.gl/KHz4m)

Motherboard:
Zotac H67ITX-C-E Motherboard (http://goo.gl/Sktl1)

With 2 ddr3 1333 memory slots (max 16Gb). I'll use 2 2Gb memory sticks i already have.
1 x PCI Express x16, 1 x Mini PCI Express (Occupied by WiFi card)
Ports: DVI 1, HDMI 1 (HDMI 1.4a),
1 SATA 2 (SATA 6.0 Gb/s),
4 (SATA 3.0 Gb/s),
eSATA 1USB Ports 4 USB 3.0 (2 on back panel, 2 on pin header), 8 USB 2.0 (4 on back panel, 4 on pin header),
Cooler Passive (without fan)

CPU:

Intel® Core™ i3-2120T Processor (http://goo.gl/wo1x9)

# of Cores :2
# of Threads: 4
Clock Speed: 2.6 GHz

What do you think? any suggestions? I really want it to be as silent as posible, small factor and at least 4 bays. Hard drives are reused from other Pcs in the house.

I like the case.

Doing a quick search I couldn't find the wi-fi chipset, have you decided on an operating system? If other than say WHS, you should insure there is support for the chipset.

It has been pointed out that using an external access point will generally get better wireless performance than the regularly occluded antennas of a card based solution.

Wifi is also alot less likely to be able to handle HD content if you plan on using the NAS as a media server. What chipset are the wired NICs?

I don't think heat should be an issue with the i3 board, it is a good choice, positioning of the box might impact that though, for example you won't want to put the NAS right next to your AV amp or in a confining rack config.

I like the case.

Doing a quick search I couldn't find the wi-fi chipset, have you decided on an operating system? If other than say WHS, you should insure there is support for the chipset.

I was thinking FreeNAS, also thought about using it wired, Wi-Fi chipset if only there in case i redesign home and i need to use it like a HTPC, not as a NAS.

It has been pointed out that using an external access point will generally get better wireless performance than the regularly occluded antennas of a card based solution.

Wifi is also alot less likely to be able to handle HD content if you plan on using the NAS as a media server. What chipset are the wired NICs?

I plan to use it only as a NAS. I've 2 shuttles without fan for my TV media servers.

I don't think heat should be an issue with the i3 board, it is a good choice, positioning of the box might impact that though, for example you won't want to put the NAS right next to your AV amp or in a confining rack config.

It would be next to my bass speaker & kinect, nothing more around so it gets fresh air.

Do you know any other motherboard more recomendable? while i like usbs there, i find 12 of them overkill and maybe there is a more cost effective motherboard out there.

I'm a Supermicro Bigot, if you don't need the questionable wifi capability, take a look at the low voltage X9SCM-F from them. It also has dual intel based NICs, 2x Sata III and 4x Sata II ports. And has the more server oriented C204 chipset ( and you do pay for graphics capabilities unnecessary in a NAS ). Zotac also has a troubled service record (read the reviews at newegg), not the case with SM. It is a bit more expensive, but is definitely more power efficient.

Some folks have groused about external PSUs being inefficient, you might want to poke around and see what you can find on AC-DC efficiency. The HFX is at 80, and that might be the best you can do.

I'm a Supermicro Bigot, if you don't need the questionable wifi capability, take a look at the low voltage X9SCM-F from them. It also has dual intel based NICs, 2x Sata III and 4x Sata II ports. And has the more server oriented C204 chipset ( and you do pay for graphics capabilities unnecessary in a NAS ). Zotac also has a troubled service record (read the reviews at newegg), not the case with SM. It is a bit more expensive, but is definitely more power efficient.

That motherboard seems great, it lacks of usb 3.0 and graphics capabilities. I was thinking that maybe the box could be used for transcoding some videos with handbrake CLI. Do you think it would overheat ? that with those motherboard/cpu it would be so slow? Would the supermicro motherboard be worst transcoding videos?

Some folks have groused about external PSUs being inefficient, you might want to poke around and see what you can find on AC-DC efficiency. The HFX is at 80, and that might be the best you can do.

The problem is that the box has no space for an internal PSU, and it recomends that one, i would think that HFX doesn't recomend that PSU without trying it first :S

That motherboard seems great, it lacks of usb 3.0 and graphics capabilities. I was thinking that maybe the box could be used for transcoding some videos with handbrake CLI. Do you think it would overheat ? that with those motherboard/cpu it would be so slow? Would the supermicro motherboard be worst transcoding videos?

The C204 chipset is designed to modulate power based on both need and temperature. As a NAS, you don't need graphics capabilities, and I think it is less likely to overheat than the Zotac. Performance will come from the CPU, with an assist of the chipset. For a NAS, a server application, more of that CPU will be available with the SuperMicro's chipset, need more processing oomph I'd upgrade the CPU to a Core i5-2500T (+10W, 2 more cores ).

The problem is that the box has no space for an internal PSU, and it recomends that one, i would think that HFX doesn't recomend that PSU without trying it first :S

They recommend their external PSU, no surprise there. mCubed/HFX make good products, you might not be able to do better - but options do exist for other external PSUs, take a look at SilentPC.com.