What's new

Dlink dsl 224 and ASUS AX 5400 keep going offline

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ErezM

New Around Here
Hi all,

I recently started using a small dlink 224 router as a DSL modem (Wifi is turned off). I've connected the Dlink through LAN to an Asus AX5400 which serves as a WiFi router because its WiFi capabilities are by far better.
Problem is that about 3-4 times a day, the internet connectivity breaks for something like 20 sec on all devices on the home network - enough to ruin any zoom conversation.
My guess is that they both serve as the DHCP server and every now and then an IP conflict occurs which brings down the internet connection.
I've tried to shut down the DHCP server separately on both the Asus and the Dlink with no luck. Internet just goes offline.
I've tried syncing the IP range of the Asus to the D-links' IP range. No luck.

What am I missing here?

Is your D-Link still configured as a router (albeit with WiFi disabled), or have you changed it to a "bridged" connection?

How is the Asus configured? Is it in "router" mode or "access point" mode.

Is the Ethernet cable from the D-Link plugged into the Asus' WAN port or one of the LAN ports?

Is your D-Link still configured as a router (albeit with WiFi disabled), or have you changed it to a "bridged" connection?

How is the Asus configured? Is it in "router" mode or "access point" mode.

Is the Ethernet cable from the D-Link plugged into the Asus' WAN port or one of the LAN ports?
The D-link is "behind" the Asus - that means it is connected to the DSL cable coming from the wall. Is it still need to be bridged?
The Asus is on Router mode.
your 3rd question - WAN port

The D-link is "behind" the Asus - that means it is connected to the DSL cable coming from the wall. Is it still need to be bridged?
The Asus is on Router mode.
your 3rd question - WAN port
OK that's fine. I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same setup.

The D-Link and the Asus will each have their own LAN network so there won't be a DHCP conflict. So leave the DHCP settings alone.

Look the the Asus' System Log - General Log for the time period when the problem occurs. Are there any error messages?

Do the same for the log on the D-Link.

Well, because of my fiddling with the Asus settings, I had to do a hard reset on it, So I'm not sure how useful the LOG is but I've attached it anyway.
Unfortunately, I can't make sense of any of them.
I've downloaded a chrome extension to monitor the internet downtime, but it was just recently installed, so we'll have to wait.
My feeling is that there is no fixed time interval in which the disconnections are occurring, it happens a lot during zoom calls and when more than one device is on the network, but it is only a wild guess.

Sorry, forgot to attach, here you go.

Attachments

• Asus syslog.txt
    33.8 KB · Views: 93
  • DLINK syslog.txt
    16.2 KB · Views: 87
Hi :)

So far 2 disconnections, which are divided into sort of "blinks" of several disconnections where the internet briefly goes offline and online several times. I haven't left the PC on during the night. I will for the next night.

Attachments

• Internet connection log 1.pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 99
Hi :)

So far 2 disconnections, which are divided into sort of "blinks" of several disconnections where the internet briefly goes offline and online several times. I haven't left the PC on during the night. I will for the next night.
What do the Asus and and D-Link logs look like during this period?

What do the Asus and and D-Link logs look like during this period?
Well...
There were some regular short disconnections with no clear time interval. Yesterday and today there were two permanent disconnections that didn't resolve themselves until I pushed the restart button of both the modem and router. as far as my knowledge goes, the Dlink shows nothing in its log and the Asus has a log for today only (18.04.22) and it's weaved into some log from 5 of may which is not making any sense to me since the router is relatively new. they are attached, can you make any sense out of it?

Attachments

• Asus syslog 2.txt
    505.3 KB · Views: 88
  • dlink syslog 2.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 93