What's new

DLNA Receiver not found on XT8 mesh system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thegios

Occasional Visitor
Hi, originally I was using my ISP modem/wouter only also for wifi. On the modem I connected via cable my AV Receiver which is DLNA enabled. I could use that Android app of the receiver to detect it, turn it on/off and stream music from Qobuz. Alternatively I could use Bubble UpNo Android app to stream music from Qobuz, still using DLNA.

Hi, I have now bought two XT8, I switched off the WiFi on the modem, connected unit 1 (the ROUTER) to the modem via cable from WAN port on the XT8 to a LAN port on the modem, and unit 2 (the NODE) is connected to the ROUTER via wireless backbone, single SSID.

The receiver cannot be found any longer by its app and by Bubble UpNp. If I diconnect the receiver's cable from my ISP modem and connect the receiver via wifi, all comes back to normal.

Anybsuggestion?

Most likely a double NAT issue. Either set the ISP modem/router to bridge mode and use the XT8 as router, or keep the ISP modem/router as is, and set the XT8 to Access Point mode

What's your suggestion?
At the moment I have connected the amplifier to the XT8 router. I also have two more devices (Nvidia shield and satellite box) connected to the ISP router and they are working fine of course, since they are not DLNA enabled.

DLNA only works for devices within the same broadcast domain (subnet). Currently your ISP router is one subnet and the XT8's are a different subnet. So do what @microchip suggested.

Yes thx, clear now, and I guess it's better to use the XT8 as router (there are a lot more options than in my ISP router), but how should I set ISP modem to make it work as access point only?

XT8 is set as DHCP with IP assigned dynamically by ISP modem.

O also have two more cabled devices (sat box and android box): should I connect them to XT8 or to ISP modem?

If you're using one of the XT8s as your main router then you won't be using your ISP router as an access point. The only device connected to ISP router will be the XT8 router's WAN port. Ideally you would set your ISP router/modem to "bridge" or "modem-only" mode. In effect the ISP router/modem would be acting as a passthrough device.

Ok now only node 1 is connected to ISP modem/router (wan port on node 1 to lan port on ISP modem). But I do not see any option to set ISP modem as bridge or modem only...

Yes, actually now all devices (Amp with DLNA, sat box and android box) are all connected to XT8, and XT8 is connected to ISP modem.

But... It seems I cannot disable DHCP from isp modem web interface: is this a problem? Because now I have the DHCP on the ISP modem and the DHCP on the XT8 nose 1.

But... It seems I cannot disable DHCP from isp modem web interface: is this a problem? Because now I have the DHCP on the ISP modem and the DHCP on the XT8 nose 1.
No this is not a problem because you haven't changed your ISP router/modem to bridge mode. The ISP router's DHCP server is providing an IP address only for the XT8's WAN port because no other devices are connected to the ISP router.

If your ISP router/modem did have a bridge mode option enabling it would automatically disable its DHCP server and most of its other features (like Wi-Fi).

Last edited:
Well on the ISP modem
- wifi has been disabled manually by me
- firewall has been disabled manually by me
- DNS has been set manually by me to Google's ones (I have done this also on the xt8, but maybe I can disable DNS on ISP modem and keep it only on xt8?)
- static NAT is disabled
- the ip assigned to xt8 is 192.168.1.2 (DHCP range is 192.168.1.2 - 253 but I set DHCP reservation to assign .2 to xt8, but maybe I can even restrict DHCP range to .2 only, being xt8 the only device connected to ISP modem, if it has any value doing so?)

Unfortunately I do not see any other option on the ISP modem, there is no way to disable DHCP (I have read that having two DHCP could be a problem).
There is only an option to make it a generic modem...

Last edited:
Well on the ISP modem
- wifi has been disabled manually by me
- firewall has been disabled manually by me
- DNS has been set manually by me to Google's ones (I have done this also on the xt8)
- static NAT is disabled
- the ip assigned to xt8 is 192.168.1.2 (DHCP range is 192.168.1.2 - 253 but I set DHCP reservation to assign .2 to xt8)
- maybe I could even restrict DHCP range to .2 only, being xt8 the only device connected to ISP modem, if it has any value doing so)

But unfortunately I do not see any other option on the ISP modem...
Do not disable the firewall on the ISP router/modem. Its primary purpose is to protect itself, not the devices behind it. That has not changed.

I don't know what your ISP router's "static NAT" does. You'll have to tell us the make and model of this router and provide a link to it's manual for us to comment on that.

I have read that having two DHCP could be a problem
Having more than one DHCP server is only a problem is they are on the same subnet. You have two subnets, each with their own (single) DHCP server. One server is on the 192.168.1.x subnet and the other is on the XT8's LAN subnet (probably 192.168.50.x). Just like your DLNA traffic, DHCP requests are restricted to their own broadcast domain (subnet), they don't span subnets.

Last edited:
Well ok then thx for everything.
I have re-enabled the firewall on ISP modem, restricted DHCP to 192.168.1.2 only and reserved it to XT8, disabled DNS (it's set on the XT8, only minor problem is that to access ISP modem's web page I now need to use its IP).
All my cabled devices are connected on the XT8 node 1 (luckily I have only 3 :) ISP modem has 4).
If one day I will ever need a fourth cabled device, I can connect it to the ISP modem, extend its DHCP range to .2 - .3 and let it assign the .3 IP to the new device (since .2 is reserved for XT8).

If one day I will ever need a fourth cabled device, I can connect it to the ISP modem, extend its DHCP range to .2 - .3 and let it assign the .3 IP to the new device (since .2 is reserved for XT8).
If you do that then the new device would not have access to your main XT8 LAN, but it will have access to the internet through the ISP router. That may actually be a positive thing if you had a wired device that you want kept isolated from your main LAN.

Actually sat box and Nvidia shield do not have DLNA so could have stayed on the ISP modem, and I don't really need to access them from outside and from inside. But since to connect the amp to the node 1 I had to move the node itself close to the ISP modem (with much happiness from my wife 🤣) I connected everything to the node 1.

Actually if you don't mind I do have another question...

In addition to what I have already done on ISP modem
1. WiFi Off
2. DNS Off
3. DHCP range limited to 192.168.1.2 only
4. 192.168.1.2 assigned manually to XT8 node 1

I have been told to also set static NAT to 192.168.1.2 and to put the same IP into DMZ

Does it make sense?

Last edited:
I have been told to also set static NAT to 192.168.1.2 and to put the same IP into DMZ

Does it make sense?
As I said above, I don't know what your device means by "static NAT". If you tell us the make and model of this router we might have a clue.

Yes sorry, forgot to specify...

It's an SGH3000 used by Vodafone in Italy for FTTH, not sure who makes it.

Static NAT means the private IP address on the XT8 router is mapped to only one public IP

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!