What's new

DNS Director hangs on resolver server changes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lggomez

New Around Here
Hi. I'm currently using an AdGuard LAN instance as my DNS resolver on a GT-AX11000 Pro with asuswrt 388.2 (also had this with 388.1). In order to avoid bypasses and to force all queries to my server I'm trying out the DNS director but I'm noticing a behavior which breaks it. Whenever there is a change on the Adguard server install like an upgrade, the director hangs and queries fail until I turn off the feature (took me some time and many tries to isolate this to the director rather than the custom DNS server itself)

I've used both DoT and DoH upstreams on AdGuard which don't seem to be the issue after all, so I was wondering if this is a known issue or if there is more info I can contribute. Note that I do not have a full repro altough I known that AdGuard updates break queries until I turn off and then back on the director

Thanks in advance

Hi. I'm currently using an AdGuard LAN instance as my DNS resolver on a GT-AX11000 Pro with asuswrt 388.2 (also had this with 388.1). In order to avoid bypasses and to force all queries to my server I'm trying out the DNS director but I'm noticing a behavior which breaks it. Whenever there is a change on the Adguard server install like an upgrade, the director hangs and queries fail until I turn off the feature (took me some time and many tries to isolate this to the director rather than the custom DNS server itself)

I've used both DoT and DoH upstreams on AdGuard which don't seem to be the issue after all, so I was wondering if this is a known issue or if there is more info I can contribute. Note that I do not have a full repro altough I known that AdGuard updates break queries until I turn off and then back on the director

Thanks in advance
I am seeing the exact same thing happen. Always used this feature in the past with no issues, until I also starting using AGH. Now the ASUS hangs every time AGH updates.

On a related note, when setting up manual DNS servers: DNS Server1 and DNS Server2 recieve traffic following a round robin scheme or is DNS Server2 a fallback of DNS Server1? This question also applies to the User defined DNS servers on DNS director

Trying to figure out if another upstream may mitigate this