What's new

DNS Filtering Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm a bit confused because on the FAQ page of Diversion, it says that in order to exclude a network device from ad blocking, the Global Filter Mode should be set to no filtering. Wouldn't that shut off ad blocking for all the network devices as well? Also, what effect would it have on my OpenDNS setting which I have configured on the WAN page? In addition, what effect does selecting no filtering in the DNS clients list have (I tried setting my computer to no filtering today and I was still using OpenDNS, so I find this all very confusing)? Finally, a simple question, can I view the Diversion logs at any time and if so, how?
Screenshot - 27_01_2020 , 22_05_41.png

Screenshot - 27_01_2020 , 22_04_16.png

Screenshot - 27_01_2020 , 22_04_54.png

I'm a bit confused because on the FAQ page of Diversion, it says that in order to exclude a network device from ad blocking, the Global Filter Mode should be set to no filtering. Wouldn't that shut off ad blocking for all the network devices as well? Also, what effect would it have on my OpenDNS setting which I have configured on the WAN page? In addition, what effect does selecting no filtering in the DNS clients list have (I tried setting my computer to no filtering today and I was still using OpenDNS, so I find this all very confusing)? Finally, a simple question, can I view the Diversion logs at any time and if so, how?
View attachment 21100
View attachment 21101

View attachment 21102
It wouldn’t shut off ad blocking for the rest of the network, it just wouldn’t enforce it. But there shouldn’t be any issue leaving Global as Router and overriding a specific client in the device list.

Anything that Diversion doesn’t block will be sent out to OpenDNS (as your WAN DNS) to finish the job. It’s not required to use DNSFilter, but it helps to funnel all DNS through the router to ensure no one can bypass your intended protections.

Open Diversion and use the f (follow) function to see what’s being processed by the router DNS. You will see it forwards things to the OpenDNS IP addresses, and you will see it block other things.

OK, thanks Dave, I'll check this out after work this evening (UK time).