What's new

DNS for renamed hosts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hank Barta

Occasional Visitor
When I got my RT-AC68W I was thrilled to see that it replied to DNS requests for hosts on my LAN. In other words I no longer had to schlep hosts files from host to host in order to access hosts on my LAN by name. Unfortunately I have found a spot where that dos not seem to work. If I give a device a new name using the Web administration page, DNS lookups for that host no longer work. :(

At present I have two Orvibo S20 WiFi power switches on my LAN. They both identify themselves as 'HF-LPB100' which is not useful if I wish to identify them by name.

Does Merlin firmware provide better support for DNS for renamed hosts?

I just took a shot at this with the factory firmware (3.0.0.4.380_4118-g7f117e6) by enabling telnet and logging in.

(Edit: still getting "Sorry you are blocked" messages)

I'll continue the post in a reply.
No, I can't. It seems that something in this discussion is triggering a Cloudflare block. Maybe I can post the description to Google Docs and provide a link to that.

My question remains: Can I add local entries that will then be resolved by DNS with the Merlin firmware?

Thanks!

Edit: description at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HCsKZDWRJB153zt7BfX1w5qCgeGRzt9CVYLeDkd5iXE/edit?usp=sharing (Comments there disabled to keep discussion here.)

Last edited:
Entries on the networkmap are just labels, they aren't hostnames (which is why they allow spaces and other special characters). Hostnames must be entered on the DHCP page.

Thanks, that seems to work.

One of my local hosts was listed but not resolving. After removing it and adding it back, the router now resolves that host. Unfortunately changing the "Name" on the DHCP page (http://router.asus.com/Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp) seems not to work. I tried assigning a new name to one of the IoT devices and the new name is not resolved via DNS. :(

Edit: Were you referring to the stock F/W or the Merlin F/W? I'm still on stock F/W.

Thanks, that seems to work.

One of my local hosts was listed but not resolving. After removing it and adding it back, the router now resolves that host. Unfortunately changing the "Name" on the DHCP page (http://router.asus.com/Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp) seems not to work. I tried assigning a new name to one of the IoT devices and the new name is not resolved via DNS. :(

Edit: Were you referring to the stock F/W or the Merlin F/W? I'm still on stock F/W.

The stock FW does not let you configure hostnames on the DHCP page, only networkmap description labels. You need my firmware to define hostnames.

Also after changing it, you need to renew the DHCP lease on the clients, so they get a lease under the new name.