What's new

dns over tls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jim trudel

Regular Contributor
hi, I would like to know your choice about the ''best'' dns recursive for DNS over TLS ? Many use cloudflare but I've read many things on them and not sure if it is the best.... so please give me your choices, ideas, advices.... and maybe why...

thanks

Last edited:
hi, I would like to know your choice about the ''best'' dns recursive for DNS over TLS ? Many use cloudflare but I've read many things on them and not sure if it is the best.... so please give me your choices, ideas, advices.... and maybe why...

thanks
I have been using DoT for over a year or is it two. Hard to remember. Resolver performance seems to be based on distance. For me the anycast system routes to Cloudflare are closest at just about 100 miles while Quad9 is 1000 miles. Cleanbrowsing is over 200 miles. I like to use DNS filtering so use Quad9 most of the time which results in good response. Am waiting for the Cloudflare Secure to work with DoT. Had used it without DoT and it is faster than Quad9.

I have been using DoT for over a year or is it two. Hard to remember. Resolver performance seems to be based on distance. For me the anycast system routes to Cloudflare are closest at just about 100 miles while Quad9 is 1000 miles. Cleanbrowsing is over 200 miles. I like to use DNS filtering so use Quad9 most of the time which results in good response. Am waiting for the Cloudflare Secure to work with DoT. Had used it without DoT and it is faster than Quad9.

thanks, cloudflare works with DoT not?
About DoT speed, how you know that about distance? and good response?
thanks

ok, do you have an idea how to compare DoT response time?
I use namebench.

You're only interested in real the performance between your router and a DoT server. So I'd configure DoT on the router to use only the one server you want to test. Then setup namebench so that it only testing your router's IP address and only testing 100% cache misses.

Untitled.png

I use namebench.

You're only interested in real the performance between your router and a DoT server. So I'd configure DoT on the router to use only the one server you want to test. Then setup namebench so that it only testing your router's IP address and only testing 100% cache misses.

View attachment 23111
Ok

So I can setup quad 9 and test it, after cloudflare if I want and compare etc?

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

Yes. One at a time.

I tested 5.

150.66 ms - 185.228.168.9 clean browsing
183ms - 149.112.121.20 canadianshield.cira.ca
205.46 ms 1.1.1.1
237 ms 176.103.130.130 adguard
290.15 ms 9.9.9.9

clean browsing is a surprise....... ?

Last edited:
I tested 4.

205.46 ms 1.1.1.1
290.15 ms 9.9.9.9

I've found CleanBrowsing to perform fairly fast in my area. In testing on another forum it had some of the better results for filtering malware sites. Though the same person testing found that DNS based filtering for malware and phishing IPs can be pretty hit or miss. It can be additive, but not always comprehensive. If they are the best performer it is definitely worth trying, they have a decent privacy policy as well.

I tested 5.

183ms - 149.112.121.20 canadianshield.cira.ca
205.46 ms 1.1.1.1
290.15 ms 9.9.9.9

I take it those are the maximum values. Maximum values are unrepresentative of the server because they usually reflect another upstream server that is slow. It's better to look at the averages. In fact it's better to look at the graphs and understand what the "typical" response time is and what the distribution looks like.

chart70M1YAP6.png

I take it those are the maximum values. Maximum values are unrepresentative of the server because they usually reflect another upstream server that is slow. It's better to look at the averages. In fact it's better to look at the graphs and understand what the "typical" response time is and what the distribution looks like.

View attachment 23112
The ms I've put is the average

With an internet connection that bad I expect you'll see a lot of variation between servers from day to day making it difficult to say definitely that one is better than the other.
That bad?
I have 120mbps

That bad?
I have 120mbps
But if the best DoT response time is 150 ms your latency looks horrible. Or there's some other factor coming into play. Are you on some sort of rural internet connection?

As a comparison try turning off DoT on the router and using your ISP's "normal" DNS servers. Test those and see how they respond.

But if the best DoT response time is 150 ms your latency looks horrible. Or there's some other factor coming into play. Are you on some sort of rural internet connection?

As a comparison try turning off DoT on the router and using your ISP's "normal" DNS servers. Test those and see how they respond.

my isp, ms average is : 44.13

I did not know that doT was so much slow vs normal dns

Last edited:
my isp, ms average is : 44.13

I did not know that doT was so much slow vs normal dns
The encryption involved in DoT adds some overhead. But also a provider's DoT and non-DoT servers may have different priorities, loads, etc. They may even be completely different servers. That's why I said "You can't infer one from the other".

In most cases your ISP's server's should be the fastest because they are closer to you.

But things change all the time. When I tested NextDNS's server earlier the response time average was about 40 ms. Two and a half hours later the average is 100 ms.