What's new

DNS problems on 2.4GHz only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rampitec

Occasional Visitor
I have very strange problems with DNS only when I connected from Android phones (two of them, Motorola Droid Turbo with MM and SGS S5 LL) with 2.4GHz band only. Periodically, like once a day in average, some sites fail to resolve (timeout). Others work at the very same time. File transfer over lan is fine from these phones when issue occurs.

My Android phones even assigned dns from Google now, same issue. When it happens all notebooks work fine. If I am connected to 5GHz it never happens. Moreover, I have AV repeater at 2.4GHz, it does not happen when I connected to its AP. It does not help to remove repeater too.

It also does not change anything if I enable or disable IPv6. My provider (Comcast) supports it natively, so it is not tunelled if enabled.

This happens on several recent FW from ASUS and two last from Merlin. Currently I am on 380.65_2. This is RT-AC87U, US region. All channels mutually supported by all devices.

I have tried about every option in professional setup of 2.4 to no avail. I have also tried to change tcp congestion governor on Android (tried westwood+, cubic and vegas). The only solution is to disable 2.4 radio all together. Yes, my neighbourhood is quite congested, but that does not impact repeater, and it does not impact lan over that range. The signal is beteen -60- -70dBm, but repeater's signal and 5GHz signal are weaker at the point I am trying, that's why phone decides to switch to router's 2.4.

All that makes me believe that is router's problem. Am I alone? I do not believe so, too many posts about Android dns issues over wifi. Some are even here on the forum. Merlin said Qantenna FW is out of sync, is it true for Asus FW as well? Can it only affect one band and only DNS?

More details: adaptive QoS on, firewall off. Ai* all off, downloader was never installed.

Last edited:
Hi, I started to have the exact same problem a few weeks back. My ISP charged me $200 for a new modem, which solved nothing. Now they are saying it’s because I don’t have enough bandwidth and want me to buy a bigger package. Clearly not gonna solve the issue so I’ll pass on that haha. I was wondering if you ever got a solution for your problem? I realize that’s a long time ago so...