What's new

DNS resolution / DHCP broke after flashing 386.4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dethknite

Occasional Visitor
Looking for some help/direction..

I tried flashing from 386.3_2 to 386.4 today, and was unable to get a network connection on any device on my LAN. Attempted the normal things--reboot router, force IP/DNS on NIC (whereby I was at least able to connect to the router). Then putty on and update amtm and all entware packages. Updated Diversion 4.2.1 (using pixelserv) from 4.2.0, Skynet was up-to-date (7.2.8).

Got on the web interface.. checked all settings and everything looks legit.. but no internet and DCHP is borked. I read in the Changelog something along the lines of DNSmasq crypto replaced with Nettle. I am not familiar with Nettle, but I have a feeling that this affected something I was using (either with a DNSfilter setting or a package such as Diversion). I currently flashed back to 386.3_2 and all is working at the moment... but would gladly appreciate any thoughts or ideas?

Setup:

RT-AC5300 (Main) Wireless Router mode (This is the main device with DCHP and DNS and had issues w/386.4)
* Diversion 4.2.1 (w/pixelserv running)
* Skynet 7.2.8
* IPv6 disabled
* DNS settings (DOT strict / Cloudflare 1&2 then CleanBrowsing (security) 1&2
* DNSFilter (Enable DNS-based Filtering: Enabled, Global Filter Mode: Router)
-- Firmware currently on 386.3_2

RT-AC5300 (AP) Running in AP (Eth backhaul) -- static ip, but couldn't get on it to address anything... after flashing back on Main rtr, was able to connect to AP and it is fine on latest.
-- Firmware currently on 386.4

Last edited:
I may have discovered a lead on this... found this in the system.log in several locations (everytime the conf is updated--postconf, Diversion, Skynet, etc..):

Jan 4 12:22:15 dnsmasq[2246]: bad DHCP host name at line 31 of /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Jan 4 12:22:15 dnsmasq[2246]: FAILED to start up

It appears this is line 31:
dhcp-host=74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,set:74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,192.168.1.11

Would it just be a static host I have specified (edited MAC with xx)? The line appears valid and is what it should be. Or if it is caused after the flash... I suppose I will have to reflash the latest to then open that updated file and see what line 31 is?

Last edited:
Another user reported the same problem with a bad entry in dnsmasq.conf.

If you have that host defined on LAN - DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP... delete it and recreate it.