What's new

DNS Server Unavailable after trying all I can find on the internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeff Berk

New Around Here
I'm putting the help request here because I'm using an ASUS RT‑AC68U / AC-1900 with Merlin loaded.
I'm getting "DNS Server Unavailable" on a few of my wireless devices. I've tried the ipconfig release, flush, and renew, reset the computer, modem, router, and just about anything else I've seen on the internet to no avail.

I did notice though that the IP address of all my wireless devices that are working are the same except for the last octet while the IP address of my non-internet accessing wireless devices have completely different IP addresses. My non-internet accessing wireless devices do connect to my router, but do not have internet access and produce the DNS error.

My network is kind of complex in that I have a bonding Speedstream modem with its wireless turned off connected to the ASUS router and a second router connected to the ASUS elsewhere in the house to expand the range. The Speedstream is NOT in bridge mode if that means anything.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Jeff

Keep it simple.
1 - If the Speedstream is a router / modem combo, put it in bridge mode, use your ASUS RT‑AC68U as your main router (DHCP Server). Configure your second Asus as an Access Point, Ethernet connect it to the ASUS RT‑AC68U.

2 - If the Speedstream cannot be bridged, configure both Asus routers as Access Points. Let the Speedstream be the DHCP Server for your home network. Ethernet connect both Asus routers, as Access Points back to the Speedstream, then clean up your DNS issues.

If the Speedstream is a modem only, then set up as example 1.