What's new

DNS Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asusrocks

Occasional Visitor
I would like to manually assign my DNS server through my Asus N66u Router. I am pretty new to this so I have been doing some reading. So I go into the N66u Router interface and for example if I want to use the google dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and under WAN I input these 2 dns servers after changing to Manual set up. I click apply and then when I check in a cmd prompt ipconfig/all my dns server is still showing my ISP dns Servers. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to get these dns servers to stick on my entire network? Also is there a suggestion or tool you guys are using to see what are the best dns servers to use for my location? Thanks !!

If this is not possible, how is everyone else forcing their home network to use for example the google dns servers versus the ISP defaults?

I would like to manually assign my DNS server through my Asus N66u Router. I am pretty new to this so I have been doing some reading. So I go into the N66u Router interface and for example if I want to use the google dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and under WAN I input these 2 dns servers after changing to Manual set up. I click apply and then when I check in a cmd prompt ipconfig/all my dns server is still showing my ISP dns Servers. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to get these dns servers to stick on my entire network? Also is there a suggestion or tool you guys are using to see what are the best dns servers to use for my location? Thanks !!

You have to renew your lease for your computer to start using the new DNS.

Make sure you didn't manually configure your DNS servers on that computer, because normally your computer should be using your router's IP - which will in turn take care of doing the name lookups throug the DNS servers configured on the WAN page. If your computer shows the ISP DNS then I suspect you had them manually entered on the computer.

Hi Merlin,

So are you saying if I go into the n66u WAn settings and put manually input DNS servers 1 and 2 and put them in and click apply then all my clients on the network (unless a client on the network was manually entered at some time) will all use those DNS servers? Is that correct? Thanks

Dana

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

So are you saying if I go into the n66u WAn settings and put manually input DNS servers 1 and 2 and put them in and click apply then all my clients on the network (unless a client on the network was manually entered at some time) will all use those DNS servers? Is that correct? Thanks

Dana

Yes and no. Technically, your clients will use your router as a DNS server. The router will then take care of sending the requests to your manual servers, and forward the reply back to your clients. But yes, the end result is, your client will get the resolution results from the two DNS you entered.

Thank you very much Merlin. THis whole thing started because I have apple tv and streaming netflix on apple tv is a poor quality picture even on HD content on netflix. After doing reading and testing it boils down to the ISP dns servers. I manually updated my apple tv with the google dns servers and bam, HD quality picture. I guess this is one of the most common issues with apple tv and netflix. Now that I read more, I want to set up my router so everything is using the specified dns servers. Again thanks!!

I'd like set Google DNS on my RT-N66U (running Shibby v105 AIO). But I don't know where the DNS 1 and DNS 2 are. Can anybody give me a hand?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!