What's new

DNS switch after reaching 300k requests

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tratek

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
The free plan in Adguard & NextDNS is limited to 300k requests only.
Is there a way in AMTM/Merlin to use a dynamic DNS switch so that after reaching 300k requests in Adguard it switches to use the NextDNS?
Regards,

OpenDNS has free OpenDNS Home plan with custom filtering categories and no limit.

Last time I tested it was blocking ads as well without disturbing usual Internet activities too much.

I did some quick math using my household DNS daily queries. If I used AdGuard and NextDNS with a total of 600,000 free queries, those would last me maybe 22 days. Then I would need to switch to something else but what?

While NextDNS is $20 per year and AdGuard is $40 per year, I find it more to my feeling of security to use Cloudflare Security via a Pi-Hole with their standard blocking list and a couple of outers for malware, phishing and scam. A RPI 3b+ can be had for around $40 and with Pi-Hole installed will run for pennies a month.

As for OpenDNS, I had problems with it not resolving valid web sites. Went back to Cloudflare Security!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!